What size hook

mdkb904

Question

So I’m trying to make a dog blanket and the yarn that it calls for is Carson 1 pound is four medium im using Bernat pet  yarn is 5 bulk so what size hook should I use to make the blanket. And the pattern calls for size H hook 

•  

1 answer to this question

"It depends".  A dog blanket doesn't need to 'fit' exactly, so you don't have to worry about EXACT gauge.

Do you have an idea of your own personal stitch tension?  Tight or loose?  It depends a bit on that.  

Yarn weight is defined by wraps per inch.  US medium is 9-12 WPI, 6-Bulky is 6-8 WPI so it's a range of thicknesses for each weight.

Here is a measurement of US hook sizes.  Unfortunately it varies a tad by brand...H is (supposed to be) 5mm.

FWIW my own experience, the Caron Pounders seem to be on the thicker end of medium.  For ME, an H hook would be a tad tight, and might be a little harder on my hands, BUT not out of the question. Maybe a denser, stiffer  pet blanket would be a good thing.  An H hook would be way small IMO for 5-bulky.

The WPI site also lists (suggested, not absolute) hooks and needle sizes to use by yarn weight.  It's a guide, and is going to depend somewhat on your gauge and where the yarn is on the WPI spectrum.  

Archived