Bobble stitch

Julliet

Question

Having trouble with number of bobble stated in pattern with how I am interpreting  the directions. The directions for the Bobble patterns are as follows;  row 1: ch 2 turn, 1 bobble in 4 th st from hook, *ch 1, skip 1 st, 1 sc in next st, ch 1, skip 1 st, 1 bobble in next st; rep from *.  Gauge - 8 stitches   Or 4 bobbles. 

When I follow the directions as written between bobbles ( sk st , sc next stitch, so st) there are three stitches between bobbles. This does not give me the required number of bobbles in the gauge. So for my size sleeve I chain 40 which is suppose to then equal 20 bobbles. 

4 answers to this question

The repeat takes up 4 stitches as written, and each repeat only has 1 bobble, so you can't possibly have 20 bobbles in 40 stitches. as you've already figured out.  

What's a bobble in this pattern?  There are all sorts of variations, and sometimes popcorns and puffs are called bobbles, but most of them are the height of a DC.  It's possible the pattern is in error and shouldn't have said to skip any stitches, and used the chains to reach up and down between short SCs and tall bobbles--in other words: tall bobble, chain to reach down, sc in next stitch, chain to reach up, tall bobble in next stitch.

Just a guess, but it should work this way and probably make the bobbles stick up a bit more.  Can you tell in the pattern photo which is most likely--a bobble every other stitch, or every fourth stitch?

Thanks for the reply.  I crocheted a test a few times using pattern as written and compared it to the picture and  the bobbles looked too sparse and too far apart. I am going to use your suggestion and not skip the stitches and see if I get the required number of bobbles for the chain.

The bobble is: (insert hook in st and pull up loop approx. 1 cm long, yarn over hook) 3 times, pull up a loop in same stitch, then yarn over and pull through all 8 loops on hook and chain 1.  

As a beginner crocheter I searched the web for how to make the bobble but didn’t find any that used this method. But love the look of the sleeve so I will use this method. 

Archived