Confusing pattern

Fruitopia

Question

1 answer to this question

Before looking at the pattern...we all have different stitch gauges, including designers.  Height gauge makes a difference in things made from the center out.

There's a ratio of diameter to circumference that needs to happen for it to lie flat. 

If the diameter is too short/circumference too long, it will ruffle (this happens to me a lot, I make short stitches).  Solution: sub taller stitches, or make row(s) with fewer or even no increases.  Not for the whole piece, but here and there to keep it flat.

If the diameter is too long/circumference too short, it will cup  --  this looks like what your piece is doing.  Solution: sub shorter stitches, throw in extra increases. 

That's just generic info.  It may help in a future project, but not sure about the this one.

I'm stumped by the pattern as well (which is a project that the poster says has issues that haven't been resolved).  I wonder if the pic is  from another source, and the person was trying to reverse-engineer it??).  For one thing, row 4, the blue row, does not appear to have 3 chains between the points - 1 maybe.  And yours is cupping badly with 3 chains, you'd probably need 4 between, or shorter stitches all along, to get it to lie flat.

One thing, which won't help, but struck me as odd (maybe because I would try to avoid breaking 1 color for 1 row) -- I don't quite see why they didn't continue with the orange, then switch to blue to the end, instead of orange-blue-orange-2 rows blue.  One could have made orange flames coming out of the orange by something like chain x, tall stitch, chain x, slip stitch to the next stitch of the row below, repeat.  Then with the blue, 3 tall stitches into the slip stitch between the flames.

Sorry.  I hope someone else comes along that can make sense of it.

Archived