Dog blanket

mdkb904

Question

I need help with a pattern it calls for Carson yarn but I want to use Bernat Pet yarn and it calls for a H hook can I use a size J hook instead of a Size H 

Chain (Ch) 90 (120).
1st row: [Right Side (RS)]. 1 single crochet (sc) in 2nd ch from hook. *1 double crochet (dc) in next ch. 1 sc in next ch. Repeat (Rep) from * to end of chain. Turn. 89 (119) stitches (sts).
2nd row: Ch 3 (counts as dc). *1 sc in next dc. 1 dc in next sc. Rep from * to end of row. Turn. 3rd row: Ch 1. 1 sc in first dc. *1 dc in next sc. 1 sc in next dc. Rep from * to end of row. Turn.
Rep 2nd and 3rd rows for pattern (pat) until work from beginning (beg) measures 30 (40)" [76 (101.5) cm].
Fasten off.

5 answers to this question

You can use any size hook you wish but it will affect the density of the blanket and the finished size.  Are the two yarns similiar in weight and what size hook is recommended on the packaging for the yarn you want to use? Some of us crochet tighter and have to go up a size or two in hooks to meet the suggested gauges in patterns where others crochet looser so they have to use smaller hooks.  If the yarn is thinner you can crochet using two or three strands and larger hook.  Best thing you can do is crochet a little swatch and see if you like it. 

Archived