Term Question

SolusUmbra

Question

4 answers to this question

Not really.  I think where it came from is the 'Afghan stitch' was used for blankets in older patterns, and the stitch and the item got conflated..  

Here's an explanation from Kim Guzman, a Tunisian stitch pattern designer.  I learned something, I thought the whole family of stitches evolved from Afghan to Tunisian in name over time, but was the other way around and Afghan just meant TSS apparently.

I think someone asked that years ago. Afghans are crocheted or knitted, blankets are woven material and quilts are 2 pieces of material with filling between them.  A blanket by any other name is still warm and cozy :lol . 

Ellie 13

I like Ellie 13's explanation. When I was a child (a long time ago 😊), any reference to some kind of crochet or knit "blanket" was referred to as a afghan or throw. A baby blanket was referred to as part of a layette because it usually had other pieces with it; hat, booties, sweater.

Here's an interesting observation. I had to say Hmm because I'm not sure I agree about the explanation for the Afghan since the Afghani peoples back in that time period would have made/had "woven" fabrics, probably not crochet or knit.

It's thought knitting originated in the middle east about 1000 years ago, possibly earlier (earliest examples from Egypt). Afghanistan is sort of a crossroad to Asia, Africa, and Europe so the technique and goods might have passed thru there, and acquired the Afghan name (for knitted blankets/throws/whatever). 

Then there's Bosnian-Herzegovinian knitting which was knitting with 2 or more hooked needles, and may have morphed into slip stitch crochet with 1 hooked 'needle'.  Bosnia is too not far from the middle east...who knows.  https://loopholes.blog/2018/03/12/bosnian-knitting-and-crochet/

edit...I've been reading more of this blog, and it's fascinating.  It appears that the earliest very knitting may have been with 2 hooks, there was a photo (from Turkey I think) showing an actual work in process with teeny tiny double hooked needles, like we'd knit with multiple double POINTED needles now, apparently mid-sock.  Going down a rabbit hole now....

Archived