Blocking Blankets

SolusUmbra

Question

I'm currently working on a blanket that may need to be block. I've been told/read on several different ways and I was wondering how other people do it. (the yarn is acrylic). I know I'm suppose to wash in cold water, and I don't have delicate but I have a setting close to that. (Was also thinking of washing it at a laundry mat so I don't have to worry about the agitator eating anything) Then I've been told to pin it out and steam it, but only do the ends since the blanket has pop up stitches (not really sure what to call them) and that steaming them would flatten them, but then what about the rest of the blanket, doesn't it need to go in the dryer? I'm so confused.

7 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville. Not everyone blocks their yarn projects but,  I am one that blocks everything. One way is, I wash the blanket first on the gentle cycle using a very small amount of detergent and also fabric softener to prevent static. I then dry it on the lowest heat setting until it is almost dry.  I bought a piece of plastic/vinyl (looks like plastic tablecloth) at Walmart in the fabric dept. I then lay this on the carpet and pin the blanket on top of the plastic with non-rusting pins, shaping as I go around. Another way I block is to just lay the blanket on the plastic, pin to shape and mist with warm water then let dry completely. Hope this helps. BTW: I never steam yarn projects as it removes the sizing in the yarn for good. Sizing gives volume to acrylics.

I've never heard that before and I've been crocheting for 60 years. But, please remember, everyone has their own way of doing things. I haven't had any problems with just misting and letting dry while pinned. Maybe it's the warm water that helps to shape it. 

Another idea here: Try making a few swatches about 6 inches square out of your yarn and use the different blocking methods to see which you like best. Hope this helps some. Maybe another member on here will see your post and have even another suggestion for you.

Well hi there!  We've chatted on Ravelry a few times.  You already know my views on steam-killing acrylic (bad idea).  And you would never want to steam part of something (I tried it--really bad idea).  It really does change everything about the fabric, so you wouldn't want the blanket edges to be limp, unstretchable and crunchy, and the rest of the blanket to have it's normal yarny qualities, right? 

For acrylic things, I either let the drier do it or 'lay flat to dry' (sort of finger blocking into shape).  I've only ever pinned out 1 acrylic item--a really lacy shawl (damp, let air dry, no heat), but that needed a bit of help to show off the lace pattern.  

Archived