katyallen8090

Granny squares and chatty friends 2019

Brenda, I read about MaHolmes.  I guess could say, they are paying him a lot of money, so he better not get hurt.  They left out cave diving and cliff diving.  Lets not forget purl diving and just walking across the street.:rofl  Yeah I have the bubble wrap ready.

I just purged my yarn of small balls of acrylic.  I have some cotton here, that I need to get rid of, but I have to find someone who will take it.  Not many want the cotton.

I had tried to post more, but I can not remember what I had written.  It would not submit the reply, so I had to get out and come back.  Usually it brings back everything you typed in before, but not this time.  Oh well,

Have a great day.

Tampa Doll I will always take the cotton yarn . So when ever you are ready to send just think of me . I love making scrappy hotpads with it. I think they are beautiful !!

Mary Jo cant remember if the diving things were on the list but now I remember bungee jumping was.  All I know is I hold my breath and say a little prayer he is ok every time he gets sacked.  

I was being a smarty pants when I added the diving.  Look at Alex Smith, he may never play again. 

So the chili is on the stove and  simmering.  It is really smelling great.  Last night was ribs in the air fryer. 

No problem Sandra, I will pack up the cotton.  I forgot that you were the one looking for it.

It is turning into a beautiful day.  Sun out, not a cloud in the sky.

i too lost my post mj  lyn thank you for your thoughts and prayers for lil sis  much appreciated  

not doing much today, handy is busy working on his little recorder and i think i may do the same thing on the cassette recorder i have  something for daughter you know  just hit the family history and highlights you know 

but not in the mood today i guess, im being somewhat withdrawn today i guess  

well all for now oh and here are those pics  they were from snowbear and made 4 scarves and 8 hats for my pine ridge res charity!! such lovely work and patterns and colors i just love them all!! 

without further ado here are pics but my cam is not that great so bear with me lol   they are just lovely and so warm  they will go out in march i think   

000_0576.JPG

000_0575.JPG

000_0579.JPG

000_0578.JPG

000_0577.JPG

Edited by katyallen8090
  • Like 1

Yeah Mary Jo they wind up with enough career ending injuries on the field.  MaHolmes is so young and has always played multiple sports I have a feeling its just second nature to start playing basketball especially if a ball finds its way into his hands.  After all drawing from his skills in playing these other sports are what have led to incredible passes on the football field.  I would really like to see him get better protection on the field.  Chili sounds good but its one of my favorites.  Are you liking the air fryer?  My niece got one and used it some but kind of quit.  The one she got doesnt cook much at a time so its more of a cooking for one person thing.  I think I am more interested in electric pressure cookers or instapots.  

Katy nice hats and scarves Snowbear sent.  They will be much appreciated at PRR.  It makes my head spin with all the places there the Rav group has taken on this year to help.

Dh enjoyed playing dulcimer with a small group for The Chocolate Festival today.  It was a church youth group fundraiser at the church where the dulcimer club meets.  Afterwards they were rewarded with a sampler plate of chocolate goodies.

Love the scarfs and hats.

Most athletes play more than one sport.  Look at Tebow who now plays for the Mets.  We had a hockey player down here who's Dad played for Minnesota Vikings.  The kid played football, basketball and baseball.  Dad was hoping for football, he said when the kid stated to sleep with the hockey stick, football was our the window.  The kid Brown, still plays basketball and football, but pro is hockey.

Hey another on hurt was Bridgwater, who got hurt on the field.  I see you now have the defensive line coach from the Patriots.  Let's keep our fingers crossed.

I love the Air Fryer.  I also have the small one 3.4 qt.  For myself and Tampa Guy it is perfect.  I have learned to make just enough for two people.  I cooked one steak for the two of us.  I make 2 handfuls of fries.  Maybe 6 onion rings.  For Thanksgiving, I make 1/2 a chicken breast.  I made 2 baked potatoes in it. More thank likely for you, you would get the 5.8 qt. or so.  They now have a air fryer oven.

Sounds like a nice dinner, especially with the chocolates at the end.

Mary Jo the irony of it all is I am not all that crazy about chocolate.  I like a Hershey kiss every now and again, chocolate chip cookies, even basic or mint brownies, chocolate frosting on white cake, chocolate as a coating on candy bars or even strawberries but would much rather have lemon bars, blondies and please do not adulterate my most favorite rice krispy treats with chocolate-----m&ms nor frosting.  In a box of assorted chocolates the only ones I like are the caramels.  I cant face Mississippi mud cake, rocky road, or double chocolate anything.   If I get one piece of chocolate fudge per year I am good but could eat a whole batch of peanut butter fudge therefore I dont make either one.  I have seen the ad for the air fryer oven.  I dont have counter or storage space now and many places we have looked dont have much either.  Some of these places also have very small stoves.  Guess it would be ok after getting used to it.  I like my Foreman grill.  I do not fry anything as I hate the grease popping on me and all over the stove.   I bake fries and veggies.  Actually love the Foreman when it comes to cooking hamburger, sausage, and a couple of times a year cooking of bacon. 

Hello. 

Katy, I'm sorry to hear about your sister.

I've been at my oldest daughter's house since Friday evening and keeping busy. I received some exciting news when I got here on Friday, I am going to have a new grandbaby in September!! My daughter and son-in-law thought they were done having children, their son will be 9 next month and their daughter is 12, but their excited anyways, the kids don't know yet but I'm sure they'll be excited too. Since Joann had flannels on sale we went there yesterday and my daughter picked out a few that she liked that are neutral colors and designs so I can start on some receiving blankets and burp cloths. She also picked out a pretty yellow, tealish, white variegated Bernat Baby Blanket yarn for an afghan. I'm sure that once we know the baby's gender I will be buying more fabric and yarn. I'm leaning toward the baby being a boy, my son-in-law refers to the baby as "she" and my other daughter is saying a girl, the baby's momma isn't feeling either way yet like she did with the other two. I'll be heading home this morning and picking up the littlest granddaughter for the day so it will be another fun busy day. Ok, enough rambling about grandbabies.

I hope you all have a great day.

cshort, congrats on the new baby.  That is so cool.  I miss having little ones in the family.

I am not much of a chocolate eater any way.  I have maybe some M&M peanuts or once in a while some Hershey with almonds.  I do love caramels, but mostly my choice is Swedish fish or pinwheels.

Thought I would drop in and say Hi.

Have a great Sunday.

I love chocolate,the darker the better,not a big fan of milk chocolate,I was bummed when places stopped doing mud pie,that was a favorite

Bill knows if there is cheese cake for desert,that I'm not having any,how dare they not have a chocolate option

hi all thanks carol, we are hoping for a miracle i guess 

i am not a great fan of chocolate either cept i like choc pudding over any other flavor, i do like butter scotch, and strawberry flavored things and caramel too  dont eat fudge of any kind or chocolate cake or hershey's or kisses but i like reeses peanut butter cups (sugar free) of course and werthers and that is the only candy i eat now and then  sugar free is getting so expensive now the last bunch handy got for me were over 3 bucks a  bag and only contained abou 10 pieces !!  I like cheesecake and can get that sugar free by instead of adding sugar to it we add stevia or  equal and cant taste any difference  i like most fruit pies and banana cream pie, pumpkin, and sweet potato pie and lemon merreighn  too  would like a jello cake soon in fact,  sugar free lol that is usually a yellow sugar free cake mix sugar free jello, and cool whip to top it   we found that with equal in the canister it can be used exactly the same amount as things call for in cooking and the taste is no different    ive yet however to try that in sugar cookies lol daughter is the same she is not a big sweets eater either lol Hany likes his crispy creams, oreos,  and little debbies cakes. but doesnt eat much more that hose sweets   

I listened to handys first tape and it is really good  we laughed and laughed in some places and  

he has it put together pretty well  started off with an intro and then jumped into family history on both sides and some unknown things, to me anyway and some flashbacks to his growing up days  was really quite the story i never knew for instance his grandmas family who lived in Iowa, had a county named for them as they were the only people to settle there for quite some time, they named the county after them      interesting huh my lil sister, now has lived in that particular county for 15 years now!!  my  family history will be rather one sided as my father died when i was i think 7, and i know next to nothing bout his sides history  i will put down what id do know, names and such but cant offer much more than that  I have no memories of him, nor does my lil sister  we were too young  my older sis and  brother remembered him better than we could  as they were like 7 and 8 years older than us when he died  and neither one of them are here anymore 

I will do what i can with it i guess 

I tried one time to find a birth cert and or death cert for my dad but never could locate them 

well on that note i guess i have no more to say snowed here again overnight about an inch probably is all      

Carol a big congrats on the new grandbaby. 

A small piece of plain cheesecake possibly lightly topped with a fruit sauce will do me for years.  I like Reeces pieces far better than m&ms and love Reeces peanut butter cups.  I dont like many of the Easter candies either except jelly beans, the malted milk ball eggs, or the Reeses peanut butter eggs.  There is no telling how many chocolate bunnies were trashed, recycled, or given away.

Well another morning with freezing drizzle.  Just enough to make it slick out.  Churches cancelled.  About 10 am it started melting.  Too bad there is no sun today.  It sure would help melt the ice snow pack on side streets.

Katy keep looking for the info on your dad.  More and more states are putting records online. I havent found a birth certificate for my grandpa and there probably isnt one.   He did not live long enough to collect ss.  Grandma went through the process to get the official state one so she could collect ss.  Mom had to do a little work to get an official one because the courthouse with her birth record had burned down.  Do you know when and where your dad died?  Sometimes you have to look in an adjacent state or county from where you think eg I could easily die at KU Research Center so my death certificate would be filed in KS and not MO where I have always lived.

"The death certificate will always be filed in the county/state where the person died. ... If the body of the deceased was returned to the home state for burial there will definitely be a burial certificate on file in the home state even if a death certificate is not created."

So Mary Jo is it about two months left before hockey playoff time? Lamar Hunt Jr got KC the Mavericks about 10 years ago.  They are an ECHL team.  We have thought about going to one of their games.  Also found out Stanley Cup is going to be on display here later in the month at a fairly new outdoor skating rink nearby in Lees Summit.  Now I know what all the construction was for at that park.  We drive by there frequently.   They have pond hockey.  

Edited by bgs

My brother had traced my Mom's side pretty far back, as we had an Aunt that lived into her 90's and helped him out.  If I remember my Mom had discharge papers from an Uncle in the Civil War.  Wish I new where they are at now.

Now on my Dad's side, we could only go as far as my Great Grandfather who came over from, well they got the boat in Germany.  Now when you look at the time my Grandfather was born, Poland was called Prussia.  It gets a little confusing.  According to my sister my brother could not get any more info than where my Grandfather was from, the town in Poland, because he was blocked by either Germany or Russia.  Alls we know about my Great Grandfather is his name, we have a picture and that he was in the German Army.  I wish we could find out more. Not many or any of my Uncles alive anymore.

Yeah 2 more months of Hockey.  Our Team the Lightning is in first place.  If they keep it up, they will get home ice advantage through out the playoffs. Boy if you get a chance that is a cool thing to see.  Shoot the Florida Panthers just scored.  It is now 2 to 1 Lightning.   Not sure when the playoffs start.  Once they are over it is baseball time.

Well it is time to get the pills our for tomorrow and to shut down for the night.

Have a good night, see you tomorrow.

good morning

going to a free painting event at the library,its a colorful Emu,hope it turns out cute,my painting ability is limited to say the least

yah bgs thanks he died in like the s  60's n our hometown, at home, but would probably be sent to Omaha  i remember the amb people with must have been him on the gurney but covered with a sheet, being wrangled out the front door  thats all i remember about that day it was in june, us kids were all home  older bro and sis went to the funeral, we were too little i guess my mom never really recovered from that, not ever  i remember too her blaming the dr. who was called immediately but was late on the house call ( remember those days ) and was too late dont remember what he looked like cept for the few pics i have of him in his army uniform and a  handsome devil , he was too  but as for any interactions with him, no memories:no

ill keep hammering records  i checked in wi where he was born, but nothing there for a birth record    ill keep trying other avenues i think but hold out no real hope:think

well had to keep busy these last few days and so im up another hat and matching scarf  all for now catch ya later!!    :shrug 

On 2/6/2019 at 5:14 PM, bgs said:

Collette very interesting.  I have some Peterson Field Guides but not the bird one.  My bird book doesnt mention sea gulls at all not even under the Herring gull.  Any more I dont think to pull my books because its so easy to see what Google will find.  Found this article at the audubon site which has a comment about the term sea gulls.

https://www.audubon.org/news/birdist-rule-20-identify-your-first-gull

I have seen large flocks of them on lakes here and everyone including myself calls them sea gulls but it seemed weird sea gulls were so far from a coast I had wondered if it was a migratory thing.  After I checked multiple articles I was totally surprised to see there wasnt a specific bird called a sea gull.  Of course we have called them sea gulls for so long that they will always be sea gulls to us.  I hate it when they change names on us which they have been doing a fair amount of as far as bacteria and plants after dna testing.

Well!!!  Let's just call them what we WANT to, by darn!  In fact--we COULD call them lake gulls or river gulls!!!  They're neat birds, by whatever you call them!!  There's a woman who feeds popcorn to the ones we've been watching at our local park on the Wabash River, and they've gotten to where they know her car!!  Right now, though, the park is closed because of high water, so I hope they're finding free food somewhere else!  They're just gorgeous, and  we've enjoyed watching them!

Hello Everyone.

I'm a chocolate lover. I think it should be one of the main food groups :lol.

It was a busy day at work, stopped for some groceries on the way home and I'm tired. So I'm taking it easy and doing some stitching.

Hope you all have a nice evening.

Well Katy being in the 60's I would think there would be a death certificate.  So he died in NE?  I dont know if they have put any of their records on line. Its not a state we have needed to research records.   We used to have to get the forms to mail requests into the states to get copies of birth and death certificates along with about $35.  Since you have photos of him in his army uniform have you tried finding his service records?  It used to cost like $50 to get those but more and more of those are online.  A lot of those websites can be accessed for free at libraries including the library version of Ancestry which is a good place to start looking just in case a distant cousin might have listed him in their tree which might help you track down sources.   Do you know anything about his family---brothers sisters cousins?   Have you checked papers for an obituary? Possibly even the funeral home.  The same funeral home has taken care of all my family living in southern MO for many many years.  I hope you find what you are looking for.