Silly question - I'm a bit stuck

Wonderwool

Question

Hi all

I've been crocheting my whole life and yet today I find a term I don't quite follow!

Pattern says to finish a round by doing a dc (UK terminology) into first stitch. So far, so good.
Next round starts with 'dc over joining dc.'

Can someone explain this to me? It's so silly - I just can't picture it!

8 answers to this question

Hmmm.  What are you making?  Can you tell where you are in the pattern - as in, can you tell if you might need to start increasing in that spot?  If it's free on the internet, could you link to it, or if a purchased pattern could you link to a pic, or tell us the name and source (x pattern from y book for example).  Sometimes looking at a pic of the item can help figure these things out.

Only 2 things come to me, and one is odd and probably not it.  The odd thing is instead of  turning and chaining up for UK TR, I sometimes turn, no chain, make 1 UK DC stacked on top of another in the first stitch, which eliminates the ch-3 and skip the first stitch.  I doubt this is it, as I 'made it up' and I've never seen it in a pattern (and it's sort of convoluted and it would/should have been explained as a special stitch).  Also the next stitch in the pattern would probably have been a treble.

The other thing I can think of is it meant to say 'put another DC into the same stitch as the joining DC'.  Which would be an increase, and also apparently shift the 'first stitch' over 1 (which occasionally happens).  

32 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

.......... Only 2 things come to me, and one is odd and probably not it.  The odd thing is instead of  turning and chaining up for UK TR, I sometimes turn, no chain, make 1 UK DC stacked on top of another in the first stitch, which eliminates the ch-3 and skip the first stitch.  I doubt this is it, as I 'made it up' and I've never seen it in a pattern (and it's sort of convoluted and it would/should have been explained as a special stitch).  Also the next stitch in the pattern would probably have been a treble.

The other thing I can think of is it meant to say 'put another DC into the same stitch as the joining DC'.  Which would be an increase, and also apparently shift the 'first stitch' over 1 (which occasionally happens).  

Hi Granny Square;  I too do something similar instead of chaining 2, 3 or 4, or whatever is instructed in a pattern. Example; turn, ch 1 (on all rows), then crochet the corresponding stitch in the 1st st, replacing the chain as instructed in the pattern. No gaps between 1st and 2nd stitch either. Hope I explained that right.

Hi Reni, I'll have to try your version, hadn't thought of that. 

The no-chain turning DC is cool but I don't do it well, maybe just need more practice (mine are kinda loose)

For a while I was doing: no chain, sc in first stitch, chain 1 for a turning DC (I make shortish DCs, some might need to chain 2 instead).   Tried slst into the first st, chain 3, but didn't like how that looked.

But the method I described in the above post leaves you with a 'real last stitch top' to work into, which I liked better than working into the turning chain of the prior row.

In more detail: no chain, sc in first stitch.  Now is the hard to describe part: on the left side of that sc are 2 strands; make the next sc into those 2 strands. Top pic shows hook going under the 2 strands, bottom pic shows finished 'stacked sc in place of DC'.  The right side looks sort of like 2 chains. (gaaa, sorry so big)

DC turn chain 1.jpg

DC turn chain 2.jpg

That is very clever. I will definitely try this out and I hope others do too. How do you do this with a hdc? Thank you for the great details.

Y'know, HDC is not my favorite stitch and I don't use it a lot.  But I've noticed in patterns it gets treated in 2 turning-chain ways (1) chain 1, doesn't count as a stitch (like SC), or (2) chain 2, skip the first stitch, it does count as a stitch.  If I ran into a pattern written in the latter style I'd probably 're-write' it in my head to the first, would keep the stitch count the same.   I'm a yanker and make short stitches (but loose chains, go figure), so treating HDC like SC  would work for me but maybe not everybody.

4 hours ago, Granny Square said:

Y'know, HDC is not my favorite stitch and I don't use it a lot.  But I've noticed in patterns it gets treated in 2 turning-chain ways (1) chain 1, doesn't count as a stitch (like SC), or (2) chain 2, skip the first stitch, it does count as a stitch.  If I ran into a pattern written in the latter style I'd probably 're-write' it in my head to the first, would keep the stitch count the same.   I'm a yanker and make short stitches (but loose chains, go figure), so treating HDC like SC  would work for me but maybe not everybody.

This is interesting and something to think about. I'm currently making a ribbed hat in Hdc- BLO. It's a rectangle to be sewn into a tube and gathered at the top.  I read somewhere that the crocheter would (sc, ch 1) in the 1st st, then Hdc in same stitch but did not count the (sc, ch 1) as a stitch on each row. After turning the row, the next starting st was made in the (sc, ch 1) and that Hdc next to it was skipped over. I never tried it though. Seems like the ends would be a bit bulky.

BTW; I'm a Yanker too, but oddly, not all the time, depends on the stitch I suppose.

Does the UK dc = US sc or hdc? Is this a corner space? If so, I think you use the dc as a ch space and work around it. Some patterns do this so you always end in the corner, instead of moving along the side. I do it for most motifs with corners that are worked in a round.

Ellie 13

UK DC = US SC.  Someone on here long ago said 'if it says single croshay, it ain't UK' which sort of stuck in my head.  

UK slst and chains are the same term, but all the other stitches 'got promoted' in the UK.  So they'd say 'half treble' for our US HDC.  No such thing as a HDC in UK either come to think of it, so much for that rhyme.

Good point about it might be something involving the starting point, but I'd have thought it would have given more details, possibly involving slip stitches to scoot over to the right spot.  Apologies to the OP, we drifted away from your question.  I hope you figured it out?

Archived