dyeing ??s

RebeccaVelasquez

general questions

has anyone ever tried dyeing? what technique(s) have you used?

which do you like best?

is it fairly simple or difficult?

what resources did you use to learn how?

and my own personal question, i am wanting to dye some of my (allow me to boast-) hand washed, hand carded, soon-to-be hand spun cheviot wool!!:yay2 i would love to make it a deep chocolate brown. i have some black and white that i would like to card with it for a 'calico' look. i want to make myself a jacket with it :hyper

Guest SamplerLady

I've only used food coloring based dyes with wool. I did get some nice browns using Wilton's paste coloring. The trick to get a more even dyeing with it, tho, is to add citric acid to the dye bath before putting the wool in. There is a flavor of Kool Aid that is, I believe, Artic Lemonade. It has no color in it but a few of those added to the dye bath adds enough citric acid to help even out the color.

Just remember that dyeing is not an exact science and one doesn't always get solid complete colors when dyeing. The first wool to hit the dye bath is often much darker than the rest--and this happens instantaneously.

If you are really attached to that wool and want it to be perfect, I'd buy some less expensive, less emotionally involved roving and practice dyeing it just to see what happens. :))

that's funny! i feel very comfortable giving it a go with this wool. i'm actually looking for a varied coloring. i have some brown paste from wilton's :yay2 i don't even have to go the the store :woohoo so, i'm off to research :computer and i'll post my product later (maybe tomorrow).

have you ever tried RIT dye??? powder or liquid?

:sheepjump

Guest SamplerLady

Wilton's is food coloring. Here's somethings I've learned. Use at least half a pot of Wilton's to get deep colors. Wilton's doesn't readily dissolve in the dye bath, so I put it in a measuring cup with water and stir and stir and stir. Then let it sit to see if any big chunks settle at the bottom. Keeps stirring till it all dissolves. Add it to your hot water pot, crockpot or whatever you're using to dye in. (Don't worry about using kitchen appliances with food color dyes. It'll all wash out and is food safe.)

Add vinegar and/or citric acid to the dye bath before putting the wool in. Immediately push it all down as fast as possible to get as even a dye bath as possible. Or don't.....depending on what you want to end up with. Or be open to the adventure! It's not an exact science.

Don't boil the wool, it will felt. I turn the heat off once I put the wool in and let it come to room temp on it's own. (This is a good project for right before bedtime. In the morning you'll have nicely dyed wool waiting for you.

Now, if you like purple and you want to have fun, get a couple skeins of 100% wool yarn or roving. Follow the above directions using a half pot of Wilton's purple. Let us know what you end up with! :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))

• 1 year later...

I am so glad I stumbled accross this thread! I have TONS of Wilton dyes (for icing) and could probably make some interesting color combinations. As far as dissolving it, I'm assuming warm or hot water would work best. I'm gonna have fun as soon as I'm done spinning my roving!

Archived