Pesky knots in yarn

Sparkplug

Hi from a very cold winters day brrrrr💨. To start I just learned how to crochet and love it so I purchased some camo yarn to make a blanket for my oldest grandson. nearing completion one of those knots came undone right in the middle of my project. I put markers on the stitches so I don’t loose them. Here’s the problem I don’t want to undo my completed blanket I just want to fix what’s undone. Can someone help me. Thanks a bunch. 

D8312A95-DB98-4891-B315-ADEA30139015.jpeg

Try taking a large needle and attempt to fix it with a whip stitch (sewing). I know this is the proper way to fix it but it might work just don't poke your needle through the yarn and obviously use the same yarn. This is how I fixed a scarf where stitches came out and I really didn't want to redo the entire thing. 

I know it isn't the proper way to fix it but it worked for me maybe it will for you.

Here is a tutorial for it to get you started.

https://youtu.be/KvEOQsKAPyk 

Hi  and Welcome  to Crochetville from the Gulf Coast of Florida.

Grab your yarn and hooks, put your feet up and sit a spell.

That is the best I can think of.  When I come across a know when I am crocheting, I double knot it, so it will not, most of the time, come undone.

Try the General help area, for more suggestions. https://forum.crochetville.com/forum/24-general-crochet-help/

Welcome to the 'ville!

You are not going to like what I'm going to say, but I'd rip back.   Any attempt to mend it is going to look --if not awful, less than ideal, and might look even worse with the camo (color change sequence and darning stitches might call more attention to it).

I sympathize; I totally get the 'I want this to be DONE already', especially as a newbie, but "anything worth doing is worth doing right", er, right?  And if one of the knots came undone so soon, how many more will come undone when it's been thru the wash a couple of times?  Instead of a precious heirloom from grandma it will be a rag.  Sorry for the blunt tough love, but think about it; not ripping back will be a 100% waste of your time if it falls apart; spending some additional time to fix it now will be well worth it.  

When you rip back,  join the yarn either with a Russian Join, braided join, or if it's wool, a spit-splice (there are lots of youtubes out there for all 3).  You don't want to trust the knots 'as is' if you find them in a skein.   Depending on the item, I might not do a join at all but just weave in the ends very thoroughly - one mistake beginners make is not leaving long enough ends, you'll want 5-6 inches, and weave into the yarn with a tapestry needle, preferably in 2 directions--never just crochet over ends and snip, that isn't as secure.  (there are youtubes for end weaving, as well).

Archived