Question

I'm having trouble figuring out Rnd 3-5, it doesn't make any sense to me. Please help

This is the pattern:

Rnd 1: with white and leaving a long tail for sewing, ch 2, 8 sc in second ch from hook; join with sl st to first sc.

Rnd 2: ch 1, sc in the first sc, 3 sc in the next sc, sc in next sc,3 sc in next sc, sc in next 3 sc, 3 sc in last sc; join with slst to first sc: (14sc)

Rnds 3-5: ch 1, sc in each sc around work 3 sc in center sc of each 3-sc group; join wiyh slst to first sc: (32sc)

1 answer to this question

Hello and welcome to the 'ville!

My notes in bold and stitch counts in red for round 2.  I underlined where 3 stitches went into 1.  st=stitch

Rnd 2, ch 1, 1sc in the first sc (st#1), 3 sc in the next sc (st#2), sc in next sc (st#3), 3 sc in next sc (st#4), sc in next 3 sc (sts 5,6,7), 3 sc in last sc (st#8); join with slst to first sc: (14sc)     1+3+1+3+3+3=14, so this round adds up, and uses the 8 stitches from round 1.  There are 3 groups of 3 scs into 1.

Rnd 3: This is going to add 2 stitches to the center stitch of each group of 3 sc made into 1 sc  from the prior row (you are putting 3 stitches into 1 stitch in the center, but that only ADDS 2).  There were 3 groups of 3 from round 2, so you are adding 3x2=6  stitches to round 3, 4, and 5.  So this round should end with 14+ 6=20 stitches.

Rnd 4: Adds 6 again, 20+6=26

Rnd 5:  Adds 6 again, 26+6=32

I hope this helps, there don't seem to be any errors in the pattern for these rounds as the stitch counts do add up thru round 5.  You must be shaping the snout, or a foot maybe?