Need help with a pattern

cibule

Question

Hello,

I just joined and am very happy to have found this crochet community website. I have been trying to figure out the pattern for the hat pictured below and hope someone here  can help. I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

il_570xN.1624951951_qmp1.jpg

6 answers to this question

Hi and welcome to the 'ville!

I turned your pic upside down, so we can see it as you would if you were making it.

I'm going to guess here based on what I'm seeing: the crown looks like HDC (US terms). 

The 'body' appears to be something like 2DC in chain space,  sc in next DC, chain 1(?), repeat.  (I'm guessing, this might take some fine-tuning).

It is probably not worked in a spiral, but in joined rounds.  

The brim looks like 1 round of sc in the back loop of all stitches in the prior round, including chains, then a round of sc in both loops.

Hat size charts for reference

Untitled.jpg

Hello,

Thank you for your response.

I tried the stitches you suggested and I think the pattern looks similar to the picture except in the body next to the 2DC in chain space I think the SC doesn't look right. I tried it with HDC and it looks better more like in the picture.

I have another question. I would like to put a name on the hat like the one in the picture below. Would you first write the name with a pen (what kind of pen?) and using stencils (or write it without stencils) and then embroider over it? If there is someone here would does embroidery and could help I would really appreciate it.

Thank you

il_fullxfull.1592684352_34yd.jpg

You could always stitch the name on a piece of pretty cloth, and sew it on.  But I agree with Brenda--it's almost impossible to embroider directly on crochet.

Hello,

I would actually like to back stitch it on 14  count counted cross stitch material just like it is done on the picture. I tried to write the name directly on the fabric but it doesn't look so nice and even. So I was wondering how to sew it more nicely and evenly. If to use some stencils to write it on the cloth or I also saw there is lot of alphabet patterns available for cross stitch material but I don't know how to transfer it on the cloth. Would someone know how to do this? I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you

Don't write on the cloth with anything but thread.  Counted cross stitch is named that for a reason - your evenly woven canvas is blank, you  follow a paper pattern that has colored or coded boxes in a grid, and count the stitches/canvas weave (4 blue, 3 red, etc.) to make the picture.   Anything you try to write with, ink or even pencil, is unlikely to wash out.  Old-time printed embroidery fabric used impermanent ink that was supposed to wash out easily.

If you found an alphabet pattern you like, grab some graph paper (you can find printable graph paper online), and color in the boxes for "Stella" or whatever by copying the letter from the pattern.  Pay attention to the number of blank grids between letters, example your photo has 2 empty grids between all letters except the Ls, L and I often have fewer spaces between.  What I do, after I plot it, is find the center, which could be between letters or in the middle of a letter.  Mark the center line on the graph paper, and also on the piece you are embroidering on (I would baste a temporary thread line down the north/south center line, and east/west if you were working on a big picture--for your alphabet, it would make sense to make the east/west baste line under the letters, like ruled paper-- just don't use pencil or pen.  Then, start stitching from the center point in either direction, toward the beginning or the end of the word.  If the center point is in the middle of the letter, I'd work the whole letter but start it the at the appropriate grid on one side or the other of the center line.

I'd be afraid if left unfinished like that, that cross stitch fabric would fall apart if I looked at it funny.  I'd bind the edges with fabric, at the very least sew around the edges, not into the holes but with a sharp needle and white sewing thread, make a running stitch by inserting the needle at the intersection where the fabric threads cross.  The latter could be done in the same operation as you sew the label onto the hat.

Or, would take a little longer but would be sturdier - make the name label in doily thread, using colorwork or surface slip stitch .  

Archived