2019 Afghans for NICU babies for Christmas

badrhinogillett

This is the 13th year that I come to you to ask for help.  Every year, wonderful members have donated afghans and hats to my drive for Children's Hospital Oakland.  My son was 3 days old when he was flown by helicopter to the hospital and stayed in the NICU for 10 days while the staff saved his life.  I owe an emotional debt to the hospital that is impossible to repay.  This drive, is my effort to pay forward some of the kindness we were shown during our time at the hospital.

I'm asking for donations of afghans or hats of any size.  The NICU cares for babies from micro-preemie to one-year old babies.  Literally, any size afghan you feel compelled to make will find a baby that will love it.  

General rules of thumb:  The smaller the baby - the more monitors and wires usually.. so it's better that those afghans have less holes.  Easily washable yarns are best.

If you feel compelled to make something for an older child, it will also find a home as the hospital cares for children up to 18.  

I take the donation to the hospital before Christmas and the first donations are handed out by Santa.  The remainder are given out by the nurses and chaplain as needed.  Some will be used to wrap a baby as they pass away in their parents arms.  Some might be used to comfort a scared sibling.  All will be loved.. and the parents of the children receiving your donation will never forget you.

I also have a Facebook group for the drive that you can find here:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/303209316470887/

• 4 months later...

I started a round ripple last night for the drive. Mostly scraps and now I need to buy another skein of something to finish it off. I will post once its done. Maybe we can get others inspired too that maybe lurking...

Just finished up this round ripple and added a scalloped edging. It's 27 inches wide at the widest points. Mostly white RHSS and some scraps. One blanket down and I will do another one before shipping them off.

440952085_BabyRR2019.thumb.JPG.caa923703bcb77af99e355415f747bc1.JPG

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Here is my 2nd blanket of the year for the drive. It's a preemie granny blanket 18 inches wide. I used  Baby Blanket yarn in baby hush pink to crochet most of it. I got the yarn at a thrift store so had to go small to complete the blanket with just this one skein.

78845428_BabyHushEdging.thumb.JPG.48745489efd6fb7c97c2e2ae6c64e040.JPG

Edited by RecycleCindy
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I know you say any afghan is acceptable, but would you prefer rectangular or square afghans?  This round ripple/Jacob's ladder was really fun to make, but I'm wondering if I need to tone down the colors and make a few square afghans?

No Holes_Round Ripple_Jacobs Ladder.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, avzohner said:

I know you say any afghan is acceptable, but would you prefer rectangular or square afghans?  This round ripple/Jacob's ladder was really fun to make, but I'm wondering if I need to tone down the colors and make a few square afghans?

No Holes_Round Ripple_Jacobs Ladder.jpg

I love the color combination!  That's lovely and no reason to tone down the colors at all (cheerful is especially nice in a hospital).  And, if you like making squares - then by all means do, but Round Ripples are one of my favorite things to make and donate!

• Like 1

• 9 months later...