badrhinogillett

2019 Afghans for NICU babies for Christmas

This is the 13th year that I come to you to ask for help.  Every year, wonderful members have donated afghans and hats to my drive for Children's Hospital Oakland.  My son was 3 days old when he was flown by helicopter to the hospital and stayed in the NICU for 10 days while the staff saved his life.  I owe an emotional debt to the hospital that is impossible to repay.  This drive, is my effort to pay forward some of the kindness we were shown during our time at the hospital.

I'm asking for donations of afghans or hats of any size.  The NICU cares for babies from micro-preemie to one-year old babies.  Literally, any size afghan you feel compelled to make will find a baby that will love it.  

General rules of thumb:  The smaller the baby - the more monitors and wires usually.. so it's better that those afghans have less holes.  Easily washable yarns are best.

If you feel compelled to make something for an older child, it will also find a home as the hospital cares for children up to 18.  

I take the donation to the hospital before Christmas and the first donations are handed out by Santa.  The remainder are given out by the nurses and chaplain as needed.  Some will be used to wrap a baby as they pass away in their parents arms.  Some might be used to comfort a scared sibling.  All will be loved.. and the parents of the children receiving your donation will never forget you.

I also have a Facebook group for the drive that you can find here:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/303209316470887/