Yarn for hotpads?

CatdaBrat

Question

Hi, I was going to start crocheting a couple of hotpads for my table, but most of the patterns say do NOT use synthetic yarns or the yarn is likely to melt when you place a hot casserole dish on the hotpad. Makes sense, but more than 20 years ago, I made my mom a whole bunch of crocheted hotpads out of synthetic yarns and she has been using them ever since. None of them look scorched or melted. So are yarns nowadays really that much different? Has anyone actually had a hotpad melt? Thanks for any info.

9 answers to this question

I, too have a couple of acrylic table pads, one I made myself more as a decorative centerpiece and one 'pot holder' I received as a gift.  

I have never used them to grab a hot casserole dish out of the oven, just to set on the table to put a hot dish ON.  I've seen deformation, which I think is the right word.  They didn't melt in the sense of turning into molten plastic lava, they've just gotten squashed and ugly looking, like they were run over by a steam roller.  I still use them occasionally, but not for for 'company'.

I wouldn't be surprised if acrylic did literally  melt a little if it touched the side or rack of an oven.  I would never make myself another acrylic one for heat use, nor give one as a gift (but I have made a few that were 3-D and fru-fru, meant for decoration only...)

Wool and cotton have a high flame temp (that's not the right word, - point that it catches fire), actually wool is a bit more heat resistant, but both are much better than acrylic or other synthetics for oven use.

Cotton is best for anything that's hot. I use Sugar & Cream for hot pads, pot holders and coasters. With the pattern I have, 1 ball = 1 pot holder (double layer). I have some very old yarn made with nylon/polyester, I don't know how it would hold up. The newer acrylics start to look like a bad blocking job. Wool might felt a little. Quilted pot holders used to be made with wool felt in them. I found one that was coming apart (I think my great-grandma made it), there was wool felt in it. I fixed it with quilt batting and keep it as decoration. 

Ellie 13

Thanks for all the comments and advice. I have never had any luck with potholders made from synthetic yarn, as the heat goes right through them, so I had no plans for those. But for some reason, the hotpads (used to place something hot on the table) I made many years ago have held up very well, and they were all made with synthetics. I guess modern synthetic yarns are just nowhere near the same as they used to be. Darn, as I already bought some beautiful yarn, and I guess I will just have to use it for something else. I will look at what choices are available in cotton yarns. I hope there are more than the ones mostly used for dishcloths. Thanks again!

I made several of acrylic and cotton, just like one post said the acrylic did acquire a “steam rolled look” I don’t use it for anything coming out of the oven because I felt the heat right through it even though it was double thick.  I am sticking to the cotton yarn and double layered as well. I used stoneware and the cotton ones are awesome. 

I am hoping that the cotton yarns will be available in the worsted-weight thickness and in many different colors. Am still researching and hoping to use something besides the usual, thin kind used for the dishcloths. I think Michaels might have a selection.

Sugar & Cream and LionBrand both have size 4 cotton yarn, I know Joann's carries both brands, I would think Michael's would too. Hobby Lobby also carries a size 4 cotton yarn in their brand. Walmart also carries Sugar & Cream.

Thank you for the good info! Ended up ordering about 16 balls of Sugar & Cream from Herrschner's in various colors.

Archived