Boxing Day 2019 (any charity items)

babypoohsmom

Denise, I can't imagine your friend's reaction! Sounds like you made a good choice on the sewing machine. Glad you have an outlet to help deal with stress. Hope things calm down soon and life is more peaceful for you.

Thanks for the update from Avon Lady! 

And thanks Mona. I sometimes wonder why I can't just stare things down and scare them out of my life! I guess sometimes, through it is the only way to go! 

Edited by babypoohsmom

I have finally posted a pattern for the outfit I finished in'18.  I have another outfit called "Java" for the coffee :) but it needs a lot more work... maybe someday

• Like 1

Oops Darski, I just posted my thoughts on life on your project page instead of here.

i just said that I have been frogging so many projects that have been sitting because I didn't like them, or I had made mistakes and they just sit there in project bags making you feel bad...so I pulled them out and made new balls of possibility!  Liberation! I think I have one left to go. A hat...the pattern is missing and I can't (maybe don't want) to figure it out. Oh to something fun. 

• 2 weeks later...

So, here is what 90 skeins of the same yarn look like....

My friend was shocked. I should not be allowed to stay up late on the Internet. She lives about 90 minutes north, so now I have a reason to go visit her!! She has been resisting the temptation to break the seal without me, but I think she's going to check it out tomorrow. (She just finished a project, so why not?image.thumb.jpeg.c6662507bf7a2aad25f703784d0849b7.jpeg

So I finally got a hat done. I had a variegated yarn and a solid held together but then ran out of the solid at about where the ribbing started, so I had to use two of the variegated. I think it looks ok. Would you donate this?image.thumb.jpeg.8d7dbdb772a1373e34504aeb1b321ab7.jpeg

Edited by babypoohsmom

And one more...my amazing brother (the one who took me to a yarn shop in Sheboygan and the Ben Franklin in Oconomowoc while we were on our Packer vacation) recently went to Ireland. I didn't even think to ask but he brought me two lovely skeins of real wool from Ireland. He's so awesome.image.thumb.jpeg.cb12130930644929e00625c02052798e.jpeg

I think the hat looks fine.  In the picture I am not seeing anything bad or obviously different.  

What a box of yarn!  You are really going to have to go visit or maybe you both could meet in the middle somewhere so neither of you have to travel all the way.  Now I would really have loved to see her face when she opened the box.

Yes your brother is amazing at thinking to bring you back yarn.  Do you have any idea whst you will make with it?

• 4 weeks later...

It's been pretty quiet around here so I thought I would catch up on what I have done.  I made this hat and cat mat a few weeks ago. The blue chunky yarn was a Goodwill find. I actually played a serious game of yarn chicken with it and ended the final sc row with about 5" of yarn. 

I've been pretty lucky at Goodwill lately and have found quite a few skeins of homespun. They make the mats so much softer. I'm going to get spoiled. There are about 6 different Goodwill stores in my home/work/rescue driving routes and I have found that the prices on yarn vary a lot. Are any of you thrift shoppers? 

image.jpeg

Edited by babypoohsmom

Here is another hat and mat. I found the Bernat yarn at Goodwill. I thought it would be softer (and thicker). It was not suitable for a hat by itself so I bought some RH w/Love and held them together. (I had no plain, brown worsted - well, I couldn't find any). It was not very easy to see my stitches with this yarn even with the second strand as a guide. Not sure I could use it alone. Maybe it's easier for knitting.  Anyway, it looks a bit like a bathing cap in the picture, but in person, it looks pretty normal. 

image.thumb.jpeg.f75ae81d5bc1b7a41788a53eef8f6c19.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e58c2a489862713ef4a8a42573b3b15f.jpeg

Edited by babypoohsmom

On 9/7/2019 at 9:10 PM, babypoohsmom said:

Got at cat mat and a hat done. The hat is some Bernat chunky softie. The cat mat has 3 strands, one is homespun so it's soft.

don't the kitty's claws snag the yarn on the mat?  I've wondered about that and haven't done any yarn stuff for cats because of it.

I've posted the second blanket I finished.  Baby doll blankets have become my quick travel projects.  I just started one the other day that was part of a doll set.  When I finish it I'll add it to the donation too.  The repetition is much easier when I don't have time to do a great deal of thinking and it is relaxing.

Post Stitch Baby Doll Blanket

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JustDeb said:

don't the kitty's claws snag the yarn on the mat?  I've wondered about that and haven't done any yarn stuff for cats because of it.

I've made mats/beds from our cats and they never seemed to have a problem with snagging. Now raccoons are another story. Prissy (the raccoon) shredded hers.

Deb, I hold three strands and am by nature a tight crocheter, so my mats turn out very dense.

i use them for fosters all of the time. I'm a little fanatic about making sure the fosters have nicely trimmed nails (because they are tiny talons if you don't) and have had no problem at all. If a cat starts to chew the strands apart, they are pulled and sent back to me for re-use, but it doesn't happen all that often.

i make round beds and cat toys from yarn as well. Just have to keep an eye on how they use them.

• 1 month later...

I was so excited the baby dolls I use for the doll donation were on sale at Amazon today so I ordered the 2 I need for next year's donation!!!  I have never seen them on sale before so I was quite pleased.  Now if Walmart will only put their 18 inch dolls on sale next year could be made. 😊

Bailey, I will keep my eyes open again. I never did see a reply from you on the ones I saw on clearance at Target. Can you use ethnic dolls?  Or do you like the Walmart dolls better? 

Dont you deliver to the school soon? 

I don't think I ever saw the question about Target.  Are those the Our Generation dolls?  The Walmart ones are closer in price to what I was paying previously.  The Our Generation were more expensive.  I'm open to any dolls regardless of ethnicity or race.  It's a fairly diverse area here so most will be represented in the area.