Boxing Day 2019 (any charity items)

babypoohsmom

Denise the Rav group does many projects for Pine Ridge centered around bags.  They often work together with one person making bags and others filling them with make up, hygiene products, small toys, etc.  One year one of our fellow 'villers crocheted little pouches and added a small box of crayons for children at one of the PRR shelters.  I think your bags would be a big hit because they are cute, the bag would be their very own plus they can put their things in them.  The shelter might even use them to put maybe a toothbrush and tooth paste in them before handing them out.  They just posted this link about the need for bags at PRR from another group that they work with.

I cant begin to tell you how sorry I am that you lost Pooh. :hug

Finished another granny stripe for Project Linus.  The orange is really brighter than in the first picture.

20190419_152226.thumb.jpg.d3e4f7e1cbdf676428a647b71574e803.jpg20190419_152352.thumb.jpg.53ef49cc9964acf9b2ed6cad9fd54201.jpg

Edited by bgs
  • Like 1

Ooh love those bright colors. Glad you took the second picture! 

My brain is really on a roll about the bags. I found a shoebox of zippers in my mom's old sewing room, so I don't even have to buy those. 

Anyone heard from Darski in any of the other forum topics?  

I finally started another dress. Both of these yarns are supposed to be #4 and I used a J hook on both. What a difference the yarn makes! This one will probably fit a lot better. I wish the color hadn't changed so noticeably on the front. I am using Red Heart with Love, Stripes. 

image.thumb.jpeg.c8313ab72566e71ca2e60a6f98148e17.jpeg image.thumb.jpeg.a480b10888d011d54eb6001ed6b83067.jpeg

I haven't forgotten about the picture of the nests,have been busy will try to get to it this week

now that I have the last 10 from last years batch done its been a bad yr here,2 deaths,mil in Aug. and then Rene's hubby in Jan.

OH Pineknott, I am so sorry to hear about you heartbreak last year.  Time seems to stop and fly by at the same time when we are grieving. It's hard to balance your life again afterwards. 

I have to tear out my teal dress. I was happy that it came out larger but last night I tried it on my doll and this one is way too big. Sigh. I'll get it right. I really like the color and the texture of the yarn. 

So yes, I am up at 2am. Have not been able to sleep at all for the last two days. So frustrating. Anyway, I used my "wide awake at the wrong time" hours productively. I got a dress done and it actually fits! Yay! I got the Walmart brand yarn for $1.97 per skein and I have to say that I really like it. It's very soft when compared to RHSS. I will for sure buy it again.

image.thumb.jpeg.efe15f891b4c8d607d2209d8795d260e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f3ecc64123133f0a11fbf6517db70924.jpeg

Edited by babypoohsmom

Denise I have nights like that too.  I also pulled out my yellow dress.  It seemed like those shell stitches with that yarn made the dress too see through.  Well I actually left the bodice part and crocheted the skirt part in solid dc by making a few gradual increases for a bit. I am using up some of Wal-Mart's Main Stay from years ago on an afghan for Project Linus.  I dont know why they quit making it for so long.

On the first one I made it wasnt really all that noticeable but somehow that yellow really seemed to make the spaces look big.  I took it apart once and tried crocheting it tighter but this skein of RHSS just seemed to be on the thick side.  It really wasnt hard just doing the skirt in all dc's.

Wow, the birds nests are really cute! Didn't you say once that they are 3 strands with an h hook? They look like about the size of a soup can.  My hand is tired just looking at them. 

thats correct,3 strand with an H hook,to me its therapy,if my hands are aching and I work on them,my fingers aren't as stiff and tense.

there are only a few the size of a Campbell's  soup can,most of mine are about the size of Progresso ready to eat soups,

one gal would like them the size that would fit a golfball,thats darn small,that would be for a single bird,Rene' was able to do that size

I remember back to when I broke my wrist,asking the Dr. how long till I can crochet? told him about the nests,he said if you can do that I won't need to set up any physical therapy

On 5/5/2019 at 5:13 AM, babypoohsmom said:

So yes, I am up at 2am. Have not been able to sleep at all for the last two days. So frustrating. Anyway, I used my "wide awake at the wrong time" hours productively. I got a dress done and it actually fits! Yay! I got the Walmart brand yarn for $1.97 per skein and I have to say that I really like it. It's very soft when compared to RHSS. I will for sure buy it again.

image.thumb.jpeg.efe15f891b4c8d607d2209d8795d260e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f3ecc64123133f0a11fbf6517db70924.jpeg

What a beautiful dress.  It is so easy to be hard on ourselves when we look at our work.  But the little hands just want something that fits and that they can get on and off and looks pretty.  This checks all the boxes.  I love the color and the texture is beautiful.  The little holes are common with these types of patterns that make a more decorative skirt.

Lyn the nests all look so nice with all those tight tidy stitches.  When I tried I invariably wound up missing getting all 3 strands picked up and pulled through.

Chris glad you are feeling better.  

Finished 2 more afghans for Project Linus drive ay sisters office.  Dropped them off yesterday as their deadline is a week or two away.  Both are granny stripe.  That pattern just works very well with grabbing from my stash and not having to have a lot of any one color and has given me a break from granny squares.

20190510_144047.thumb.jpg.31cd700dfb086cbfc0c95372db00dd93.jpg20190510_220335.thumb.jpg.a0fcbee674534a9d530c2ffc0171e51e.jpg

• Like 1

Linda, I went to the VBSPCA website and saw how the nests are used. It seems that they always need them. Hard to believe there are that many orphan birds! (Says the kitten rescuer that can't wrap her hear around the number of orphan kittens)

Anyway, I hate to ask because I don't wan't to be insensitive, but I honestly can't remember. I know you have lost several family members since we have been together on this CAL.  You referred to Rene in the past tense. Is she one of the family members you lost? 

gee,I hadn't noticed that,no she is very much alive,it was her husband Jimmy that passed away,and my mother in law ( mil in Aug '18 ) and Jimmy Jan.2nd of this year

Linda, whew. I was looking through last year's thread wondering if I somehow missed such bad news. Not that losing your mother in law and son in law weren't bad, but you know what I mean. 

And as if just on queue, I see that I missed Brenda's beautiful new ghans and Bailey's illness. I do need a new iPad. This one is old and very slow. I went to see how much new ones were, and wow.  Anyway, once in a while, when I come to the Ville, it forgets to show me new posts. 

Hope everyone else is doing well. And Darski, if anyone sees her in other topics, please let her know we miss her and are thinking of her.