Boxing Day 2019 (any charity items)

babypoohsmom

You guys are doing great.  I modify and adjust all the time to make stuff fit.  My crochet doesn't seem to work the same as some of the pattern writers and therefore I find adjustments are required in some cases.  I try to make notes on my blog because I know I can go back there myself and I figure it gives people something to try if they can't make the original pattern work too.

My poor girls are constantly without clothes or partially clothed as I'm working on a new outfit.  Modesty sadly has long since left them.  It makes it quicker to try on stuff as I'm working on an outfit.

I had to add a few rows to the end of the pattern or this would have been a mini skirt!  I know my tension is tight but at least it's even!! I am not sure what to do about the back. The pattern says to use a ribbon for the closure. Is that alright?

image.thumb.jpeg.43e1eecb3302cb8d363b61e6615e6618.jpeg

Denise it looks really nice.  Chris had commented that she added some rows and I also added rows on the first one.  My skein of yellow ran out so I have to decide what to do--- go with short, find more yellow, add another color, or make slacks to go with it.   Havent decided yet.   For the first things I made I used hooks and eyes. The snaps I had on hand seemed too small (better for Barbie size clothes) and I wanted to complete them before I had a chance to go shopping.  On the flamenco dress I used a pearl button with a shank.  One button at the top seemed to work just fine to keep it closed using the space between my first 2 dc or what would be the chains and first dc. (I rarely do the ch 2 or 3 thing at the beginning of rows but learned how to make a stitch thst looks more like a dc).  I  wasnt sure about using a ribbon.  Not around kids anymore and have no idea what age they learn to tie things.  I had to learn to tie my shoes before starting kindergarten but the kid shoes now velcro.  

I've been using size 3 snaps on many of my outfits, but I still use buttons on others.  It often depends on how the outfit fits.  I've also crocheted ties by joining yarn to the edge of the outfit and chaining a length significantly long enough to make a tie and bow, repeating on other side.  I've mostly done this with the baby clothes but I have on occasion done it the the 18" clothes as well.  I'm not great working with ribbon so that is generally why I haven't used it.  I'm also not sure how well it stands up to continuous usage.

As for skirt length since I don't know who will be getting the dolls I tend to lean on the side of modesty and try to get them over the mini skirt length even if I have to add rows.  Some parents might not care, but I'd hate to have a parent decide a child couldn't play with an outfit because they thought it wasn't appropriate because the length was too short.  That's just my thinking. 

When you know the intended audience and they aren't as concerned then it isn't as big a deal. 

Edited by Bailey4

Well, I think I am going to send it along as is and add a length of yarn in case you want to add a closure of choice. I'm going to need instruction from someone IRL to figure out buttons or snaps. I am going to try the pattern again with a thicker yarn next. The pink yarn was thin, kind of like CSS. But I think I want to try Darski's skirt next. I have been putting it off because I can't find my 1/4" elastic...but I am at the point where I will just go buy some (which explains why my craft room looks like an episode of Hoarders is being filmed.  Meanwhile, I guess you better PM me your address so I can send this one along before I lose it! It's been fun trying something new.

Speaking of Darski, has anyone seen her on any of the other boards?? 

I just wanted to let y'all know what is happening.

At this point I have given up crochet and I can't see getting it back any time soon. 

I have some stuff I want to get together and send when I am up to it.  I also have patterns that just need pics or some typing that I hope to be able to finish.

It just about killed me when I had to quit sewing but this is harder somehow. :cry

:ghug  will let you know if things change

• Sad 1

Oh Darski, that is awful to hear. I remember when you had problems with your hands and they came back to you. All of our best thoughts are with you that this may be something that will also pass. 

• 2 weeks later...

that print is cute

right now my project is helping Rene' crochet butterflies for her church,we're at 101,should be 125 after the ends are tucked on the latest batch,I only count them once they are completely done

• Like 1

Love the print for the blankets.  The butterflies sound beautiful.

Looked what arrived from Greyhound Grandma today!!!  3 Doll Blankets for the Doll Donation. These are so beautiful.  I am so thrilled.  The patterns and colors are delightful.

greyhoundgrandma2019.JPG.png.7402409c9511ced29d657bcfbd3905b1.pngGreyhoundgrandma2019a.JPG.png.553ec380a056d52232263b70119c4f25.pngGreyhoundgrandma2019b.JPG.png.0971257f0ff663889ce4dd4be5e9f6a8.png

Edited by Bailey4
  • Like 1

Pine knot, which butterfly pattern are you using?

I love the pattern on that first blanket. I'd also like to know that pattern. 

Today we had to put our sweet Poohbear to sleep. He had a tumor and was just skin and bones. I was rear ended on Tuesday and had a flat tire last night. Not my favorite week. 

Denise, so sorry about all your problems this week, especially Poohbear! Losing a furbaby is so hard.

The first blanket is the Nursery blanket (nursery is the yarn color) from the Mary Maxim Crochet Car Seat Blankets kit No. 97247N. The other two are the same pattern from that kit--White Blanket.

Darski, thinking about you! Hoping for some improvement.

Hi all...a quick update from me. I got my car back yesterday so I am trying to get my life back in order. I have been ignoring some health issues and boy they are kicking me in the butt these days.

Bailey, I am trying to decide on what color my next dress will be. I don't want to mail away that first one until I get a second one going so I can check the pattern.  I also really want to try a poncho and hat.

I think you all know that I have two Addi circular machines for making hats and scarves. I got a new "Sentro" brand machine a few weeks ago and have not had any success with it yet. But I am determined to find a yarn it likes. It has a few more needles than the Addi and I thought that would be great for men's hats. 

Hope you are all well. 

So this is not crochet, but I finally learned how to make a zipper pouch. It was so fun...

image.thumb.jpeg.b50b2aa83db644583b5238a108eaff11.jpegSorry about how orange the picture is. I'm going to make these for the volunteers in our rescue. I do have some cute fabric from Frozen and some Spiderman fabric, so maybe I could make those up and give them to a shelter for the kids. Do you think the little bags would be nice for the kids or impractical?

i still have had zero luck with that new circular knotting machine. I got it as a birthday present for myself and it backfired!!

Denise I really love your bag.  I would think they would be popular and practical with kids at a shelter.  I belong to the Ravelry group For the Children of Pine Ridge and bags of any sort seem to be a popular item at most any of the shelters they help.  Sorry that new knitting machine isnt working out.  Is it too late to return it?

that fabric is so darn cute,the bag I think would be a big hit.

when I seen knotting machine,I got that sinking feeling something was not right,sorry to hear that

I'm starting back on the bird nests I crochet,so far I finished 2,this was the last batch from last yr.only got forty done I'd like to have 50 by the start of hurricane season June 1st

Ok, so it sounds like bags could be a good shelter item. Now I need to get out my cute fabrics.

I have both sizes of the addi knitters. The small one knits like a dream and the large one is good when you give her the brands of yarn she likes. I only bought the new one because it had a few more hooks to make slightly bigger hats. I will probably fuss around with it more after I am done being angry with it.  We'll say it's in time out!!

Linda, if you get a chance to share a picture of some of your nests, that would be great. I think we have a few new people here who have not seen them before. 

Still trying to get used to a house without Pooh. But I have 5 new kittens arriving on Saturday, so I will be busy with prescious new littles. 

The Capitals play so early in this first round that I am usually at work and then driving home when the games are on, so I haven't made any hockey hats this year!