Boxing Day 2019 (any charity items)

babypoohsmom

Hi to my busy friends. My doll stares at me every day in my craft room, but I have been distracted. I started a blanket with Bernat Baby Blanket. I got 3 skeins each of red and an off white in a Mary Maxim kit of the month. I didn't like the pattern, but my friend at work was using the same yarn with a cute pattern, so I fell for the shiney object syndrome and started one. I'm not sure if I will donate it or not, but I'll share it with you as soon as I get a picture. I am wide awake at 12:36am and I'm thinking about going to work. 

Meanwhile, I thought I'd share some trap covers I made. Trap, Neuter and Return is big here in Phoenix because we have a huge feral cat problem.  We trap the feral cats, take them in to be neutered, and then return them. Once spayed, they will protect their territory and stop multiplying. A few years ago we helped a guy that had 26 cats in his yard. Instead of new kittens twice a year, he is down to 3 cats in his yard.  One of the things that is always needed is trap covers. I got a sheet at Goodwill and made 3 and had some fabric left over. The only important part is to do some kind of reinforcement around the handle opening. I used some flannel. I checked it for fit on the trap I had borrowed as a "model".

image.thumb.jpeg.02d1a06cd26aa21c081c5b46cb4041ca.jpeg

• Like 1

I am on my fourth blanket for the year.  I am hoping to take them to St. Mary's this month.  I want to start making a hat to go with the blanket so I will be starting that with the blanket I am making.  I will post a picture of what I take to the hospital so you all can see.  Great seeing everyone's projects.  It makes me want to keep crocheting.

Bailey has been busy this week!! I still haven't been brave enough to try a doll item. I got some blankets cut for the Valentines week adoption center decorating. I thought I had a whole bolt that yields 22 blankets but I only got 16 from this one so we will only get the heart-kitschey decorations up in one center. I will post pictures tomorrow. 

Tomorrow the rescue participates in an event called "second Friday" - where a group of neighborhood leaders have been trying to get neighbor's out on Fridays, so they usually have a band, and free craft projects for kids, stuff like that. We have a booth and we hand out information on low cost spay and neuter options and talk to people about the new tethering law and stuff like that. But we also promote our adoptions. We usually bring a dog or two and once in awhile a cat. Sometimes we have a poster of baby kittens and puppies that will be  "coming soon". The point is, I usually have time for crocheting cat toys while we are out there. So that is my plan.

Bailey you have been very busy.  All of the dolls clothes look great. 

Denise that is wonderful that you do that with rescue.  I volunteer at Animal Lifeline Thrift Store usually on Saturdays.  I have been doing that for 10 years now. 

I have to finish my blanket and I talked to the woman at the NICU and they have room for about 12 blankets.  So I have 4 made and I hope to get at least one more done before next Monday.  I have off from work that day so I thought I would take them that day. 

I sure wish I had something to report today, but I don't. I'm not really sure if I can remember anything specific from this past week. All of the days blend together! I still have 4 doll patterns in the "come on Denise, get brave and try something new " pile. We have a holiday coming up next weekend so I hope to do something fun with my spare day. I have been doing a lot of quilting work which is good because we are getting a new roof now and the bill is $12,000. But I guess there is no point in having a house with a bad roof. 

I did manage a dish cloth while waiting for my husband to have a medical procedure last week....so I guess I do remember that and I did get something done.   I forgot to take a picture of the blankets I took for the adoption event yesterday.  

Here is the fabric I used to make the blankets. I thought it would be cute to have Valentine's Day themed blankets. When people adopt cats, we send the kennel blanket home with them, so the cat has some scent transfer. I make little pillows and toys out of the scraps (they also go home with the cats). image.thumb.jpeg.ca582df69239743c4bca1c475e1515da.jpegThis piece is 8x8 and will be a pillow. Again, for decoration and scent transfer, although I have seen cats that actually use them as pillows! 

• Like 1

Denise I love that fabric.  You have been busy with your rescue projects.  Know what you mean by the roof.  We had ours replaced two years ago.  Which 4 doll patterns have you been thinking about? I guess I felt a little deprived after Christmas so when you said you bought a doll I bought one too.  I have made a few things for her and pictures might show up somewhere eventually.  I am working on another shawl and some things for people on the wishlist---some of it for charity.

Hey Brenda, I have a poncho and a skirt that are Darski's patterns and then also the flamenco dress that Bailey has used. I forget what the fourth one is.  Funny that I think that doll stares me down when I'm in my craft room.  Ha ha.

The roof is finally done. Hope it lasts for a long, long time. 

Denise this is another one Bailey has done so you probably have it.

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/american-girl-little-bluebell-nightgown

It and the flamenco dress were easy and worked up quickly--almost instant gratification.  That made them good choices to start with.   I also made one of Darski's sets.   She has so many cute ones its hard to choose where to start.  I made a shawl from one of her sets and hat from another set to go with the flamenco dress.  Just when I think I have them all I come across another one and its even cuter yet. 

Guess you are safe if its just staring down at you but if it makes a move or speaks run!

After the new roof I stress with every storm that comes through.  Seems like we dont get normal gentle rain anymore just deluges with wind and hail.  My dad had a new roof put on and less than 6 months had it replaced because of hail damage.  My sisters new roof had been on about a year and was damaged in the same storm. 

Well YAY, I got the first 3 rows of the dress done.  It took me 4 tries to get the first row right. I kept coming up short on the chain. It actually has the right shape though.  I probably should stop now and try it on my doll to see if it is sized right. I used a J hook because of my tight tension. 

image.thumb.jpeg.329afa2d7c3b579edad56acf3520b4f6.jpeg

Edited by babypoohsmom

33 minutes ago, babypoohsmom said:

Well YAY, I got the first 3 rows of the dress done.  It took me 4 tries to get the first row right. I kept coming up short on the chain. It actually has the right shape though.  I probably should stop now and try it on my doll to see if it is sized right. I used a J hook because of my tight tension. 

image.thumb.jpeg.329afa2d7c3b579edad56acf3520b4f6.jpeg

Way to go! My first attempt seemed a little big so I pulled the whole thing apart.  I didnt pay attention and had grabbed the next size up hook. Oh my you do have tight tension.  I have noticed that it makes a difference which brands of hooks I use and even in the same brand it makes a difference if I use the newer ones versus the 40+ year old hooks.

I posted a thank you in the Wishing well but I also wanted to say thank you here to a certain MO Fairy Godmother who sent me a box for Aztec Wishes the holiday toy donation I donate to every year at Christmas.  The items are beautiful. 

BGS2Feb192019.JPG.png

BGS3Feb192019.JPG.png

BGS4Feb192019.JPG.png

BGS5Feb192019.JPG.png

BGS6Feb192019.JPG.png

• Like 1

If you lay it flat and it doesn't meet my go to fix is to sc along the edge of both borders. It also makes it easier to see buttons as the sc are more solid.

Also are you planning for this shirt to be worn over the dress? That can make a difference as well.

Edited by Bailey4

I have had some that looked sort of looked like that but since yarn has some give they easily pulled over to button or hook.  The real test is going to come when you do the skirt part of the dress because it will have to be big enough to pull up over doll.   Good tip Chris on the sc ----thank you  must remember that suggestion.  I can see it being extremely helpful.  

Edited by bgs

Hey ladies...I am having trouble transitioning from row 7 to row 8 on the Flamenco dress. If I put a v stitch in every other stitch, I end up with some v's coming on one of the dc's and some coming on the chain 1 space. That doesn't seem right.

i know it's hard time give advice without seeing my work, but I'm confused. 

Thanks!!

In round 8 thru 10  make v stitches in the chain 1 of the v stitches in the previous rounds.  The shell stitches in round 11 will be worked in the chain 1 of the v stitches of round 10.  Then rounds 12 thru 15 make shells in center of shells on previous rows.  

Hey Brenda, thanks for the pattern translation. I am through row 10 now and need to start the shells. I decided to try it on. Excuse my girl in the underthings...the dress was not easy to get on so I was worried, but when I tried to get her store bought dress back on, that was hard too, so I guess it's ok. 

Here it is so far....

image.thumb.jpeg.8ca6ad711e083635fb756bd847817ddf.jpeg

Edited by babypoohsmom
  • Like 1

Thank goodness yarn has some give to it.  Some things I tried were just a touch snug so I am going to try to loosen up a bit next time.  I never played much with dolls and am finding it is tricky getting clothes on those arms.  

Chris does the bodice with a g hook and the skirt with an h hook to get a little more flair in the skirt.

https://craftatticresources.blogspot.com/2018/12/american-girl-little-flamenco-dress.html?m=1

Here is one I am working on.  I wasnt fond of the ch 2 dc in next stitch on back and replaced it with a v stitch plus worked it a little looser.20190301_001534.thumb.jpg.63f2f7187eb6c428d63fafec2b25b7cc.jpg20190301_001642.thumb.jpg.f3c16306462ffac93b0d4b91617bfbec.jpg

Edited by bgs
  • Like 2