Jump to content
babypoohsmom

Boxing Day 2019 (any charity items)

Recommended Posts

Hello again, I can't believe that it is time to set the new Boxing Day CAL into motion!!

This CAL is here to encourage any kind of charity crocheting (or knitting or sewing or volunteering).  The name Boxing Day was chosen years ago by another villager and I like it!  There are many stories about how Boxing Day got its name (just google it and you will see), but they all come back to a day of giving.  Although we donate all year round, we kick off every December the 26th for a new year of fun. We celebrate all kinds of charities here.  You can tell us what you are working on and where it will be donated, or join the cause one of our seasoned charity veterans.

Over the years we have seen blankets for hospitals, nursing homes, troops and animal shelters, preemie hats and blankets, toys, bird nests, stockings, and a wonderful doll and doll clothes donation program that you just have to read about. 

We triumph in even the small achievements, so stop in any time and show us what you are donating! 

PS, "Baby Pooh" is my now 13-year old cat.  When he first came into my life, I learned how hard animal rescues work and knew that despite cat allergies, I wanted to help.  My little Poohbear sent me down the path of volunteerism and I am now on the board of directors of a small, but growing animal shelter in the Metro Phoenix area. I also donate hats to the MANA House and other shelters in the Phoenix area.  I never thought that Phoenix was  place that needed hat donations until I got locked out of my car one cold January evening and had to wait outside for AAA to arrive.  We all have a story about why we donate, we'd love to hear yours!

 

Edited by babypoohsmom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I plan to be here this year.  I'm in a bit of a slump just now but I have stuff from last year and I have plans for this year.

 

"Lead on Mcduff"  :rofl

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I plan on being much more active on here in 2019. I somehow got through 2018 without making much of anything for charity and I'm not happy about it.

I've started working on preemie berevement sets to be donated to the local NICU in Greenville, NC. I've been blessed to watch 6 different preemies (5 who graduated NICU here in Greenville!) grow up into wonderful strong little kids. It definately gives me a new sense of thankfulness that we didn't have to go through that with our girls. In 2017, my friend (who is a triplet momma) set herself the goal of making 300 preemie hats for the NICU in honor of her kid's 3rd birthday. I decided to help her with that. I had another friend contact me when she heard what we were working on, and she told me that she had lost a baby at 20 weeks and what made things worse was that she simply could not find any clothing small enough to bury him in. It added even more stress and heartbreak to an already horrible situation. She suggested I look into berevement sets, and I did. I found patterns to make a hat, a tunic, a small blanket, and a pair of diapers (1 for the baby and 1 as a keepsake for the parents). I make these sets in 4 different sizes. My goal for 2019 is to donate a dozen in each size. I'm making 4 in white, 4 in pink, and 4 in blue in each size. I started working on these sets to be donated in 2019 already and I've got all the hats done. Started on the smallest size diapers this week. I'll also be making individual hats and blankets (not part of the sets) and possibly some octopi for the NICU (still waiting on this hospital's guidelines for those). 

The other charity I like to make for is Operation Gratitude. They send care packages to our soldiers who are deployed overseas around the holiday season each year. They ask for donations of hats and scarves. I'll be working on those throughout the year and probably mailing them out around October-ish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in again working on doll clothes and toys for the local tech high school holiday toy drive Aztec Wishes.  I've already got a few outfits put in the bags for next year and will be continuing on through the year.

Today I have an example of what happens when you realize you don't have the color you thought you did.

American Girl Skirt and Shirt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Inkked0317 said:

I plan on being much more active on here in 2019. I somehow got through 2018 without making much of anything for charity and I'm not happy about it.

I've started working on preemie berevement sets to be donated to the local NICU in Greenville, NC. I've been blessed to watch 6 different preemies (5 who graduated NICU here in Greenville!) grow up into wonderful strong little kids. It definately gives me a new sense of thankfulness that we didn't have to go through that with our girls. In 2017, my friend (who is a triplet momma) set herself the goal of making 300 preemie hats for the NICU in honor of her kid's 3rd birthday. I decided to help her with that. I had another friend contact me when she heard what we were working on, and she told me that she had lost a baby at 20 weeks and what made things worse was that she simply could not find any clothing small enough to bury him in. It added even more stress and heartbreak to an already horrible situation. She suggested I look into berevement sets, and I did. I found patterns to make a hat, a tunic, a small blanket, and a pair of diapers (1 for the baby and 1 as a keepsake for the parents). I make these sets in 4 different sizes. My goal for 2019 is to donate a dozen in each size. I'm making 4 in white, 4 in pink, and 4 in blue in each size. I started working on these sets to be donated in 2019 already and I've got all the hats done. Started on the smallest size diapers this week. I'll also be making individual hats and blankets (not part of the sets) and possibly some octopi for the NICU (still waiting on this hospital's guidelines for those). 

The other charity I like to make for is Operation Gratitude. They send care packages to our soldiers who are deployed overseas around the holiday season each year. They ask for donations of hats and scarves. I'll be working on those throughout the year and probably mailing them out around October-ish.

It is a brutal time for any couple to go through and a blessing for you to provide them with burial clothing. I don't know if you are familiar with this woman's blog so I will provide the link, but this has been her mission for a while and she has some very beautiful but easy patterns to make.  I've adapted some of her dress patterns for my baby doll project as they are simple to make but look as if they aren't.  All her patterns list the gestation period they are designed to fit.

Mama that Makes blog

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice to see you Darski and Bailey and welcome Jessie! 

I finished up a hat while waiting for my husband at the doctor's office yesterday and then left my project bag in his car.  I need to retrieve my work today!

Bailey and Darski: if I am looking for a doll to fit clothes to for your project, does it have to be an American Girl?  Can you tell me a knock off that might be cheaper?  I am thinking of asking my FB friends if anyone has an abandoned doll and I know the AG dolls are expensive.  Also, I saw a "My Life" (?) doll at Walmart while looking for a nerf football last week.  They were about $35. Are they the same size?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never owned an American Girl doll.  I did make some clothes for my niece's doll at one point.  For years I've used the Springfield dolls but those seem to be disappearing.  I've always used the AG term because most people know the line.  I bought the clearance of Springfield when AC Moore was dumping the line so I'm good for about another year for donations I think.  I have to check and see what I still have upstairs. 

After that I'm thinking about going to the Walmart My Life dolls.  Darski sent me some for this last donation and allowed me to keep one to prepare for the transition.  I really like the doll.  It has much nicer hair than the Springfield and the clothes fit fine.

Just checked online there are a couple of basic dolls My Life dolls that price at around $20 and that's where I'm going to be targeting because we send so many clothes that getting one with a cool starter outfit isn't as important as getting the doll that can wear the clothes.  That is also about what I was getting the Springfield dolls for when I was buying them at AC Moore. 

If you are looking for one just to try clothes on you might want to see if you can find one of these as well.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/My-Life-As-18-Poseable-Emma-Doll-with-Blonde-Hair/689597740

https://www.walmart.com/ip/My-Life-As-18-inch-Everyday-Girl-Doll-African-American/52730785

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm glad you found one.

 I find locating dolls can be hit or miss in or around Christmas.  I picked up my baby dolls for 2019 after they came back in stock after the Christmas rush.  I wasn't in any rush so waiting wasn't an issue but I like this particular doll because using the same doll year after year allows me to keep the model I have so I'm sure the doll clothes I make fit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will continue to be making the baby blankets for the NICU at St Mary's Medical Center in Langhorne, Pa.  Looking forward to sharing what I make and take to the hospital.  I even joined the the Crafty group at the hospital and they meet once a month at the hospital.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Target (if you wish to go there) still sell their "Our Generation" dolls.  they seem to have gone up in price - now starting at $35.00 USD

 

My first 18" doll was an 'Our Generation" girl and I still use her all the time.

Elspeth: els002.thumb.jpg.d780b93ac3e79f8bbc49df22865aaf10.jpg

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/27/2018 at 7:09 AM, Inkked0317 said:

I've started working on preemie berevement sets to be donated to the local NICU in Greenville, NC.

 

I believe that this is the greatest of all charitable work we crocheters can do.  I imagine the feelings of those dear parents when they find that some unknown soul has prepared for their moment of crisis.  It would surely reduce their grief just a bit to know of such generosity.  The moment I heard of this ministry I had to make at least one set and send it off.  I wish that I could do more of them and I suppose I could now that my hands have become more accustomed to working with SW yarn.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, darski said:

Target (if you wish to go there) still sell their "Our Generation" dolls.  they seem to have gone up in price - now starting at $35.00 USD

 

My first 18" doll was an 'Our Generation" girl and I still use her all the time.

Elspeth: els002.thumb.jpg.d780b93ac3e79f8bbc49df22865aaf10.jpg

 

 

My niece got the Our Generation Doll before her parents considered her old enough to take care of an American Girl Doll.  They are nice dolls but pricier than the Walmart line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jessie, thanks for sharing about Operation Gratitude, I've been wanting to find an organization to donate to for the troops.

Right now I have a lapghan on my hook for a local nursing home. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/27/2018 at 8:15 AM, Bailey4 said:

It is a brutal time for any couple to go through and a blessing for you to provide them with burial clothing. I don't know if you are familiar with this woman's blog so I will provide the link, but this has been her mission for a while and she has some very beautiful but easy patterns to make.  I've adapted some of her dress patterns for my baby doll project as they are simple to make but look as if they aren't.  All her patterns list the gestation period they are designed to fit.

Mama that Makes blog

 

Thanks for sharing this blog.  The hospital has asked for preemie hats but always afraid to make them.  This blog is giving me more ideas to do and this will be great to add to what I send with the blankets

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a group that meets at one of our local libraries that donates hats to the Labor & Delivery units of 3 or 4 local hospitals. While I don't plan to drive the 45 minutes for their meetings, I can send hats through our Dispatch system and the manager has promised to get them to the group.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to see we have more joiners! Welcome ladies! 

So...I paid for my doll on line and when I got to the store it was "well, someone must have bought the last two before we got to the shelf to pull it for your order". Ha, really? Why couldn't they just say "it seems that our inventory system might not be that great". I'd have more respect for that. Anyway, they had some other ones for $25, so I got this one:

image.thumb.jpeg.9b789e071b6db606b12eb6512069f306.jpeg

They had a ballerina but she had her hair in a bun, so I couldn't make hats.  I am in a bit of a "funk" lately, kind of in all aspects of life, so I thought I would try something new.  I need an easy pattern to start. Maybe a poncho or something loose fitting so I can see about sizing. I know I asked you for something last year, but I lost track of the pattern. I crochet tightly. I routinely use a J hook for worsted weight instead of an H. 

When my mom was still alive, she made burial blankets for the coroner's office. It's shocking really how many babies are not claimed by families. I also made some hats for stillborn babies. They told us to use ping pong balls for fitting. That was so very sad. I have lost touch with the woman who used to deliver them, so I have not done those for a long time now. 

Anyway, I will still be doing my normal cat related items, but wanted to branch out a bit and I just love hearing about the project every year, so why not? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find skirts to be the quickest and easy to fit

My "Sisters" pattern is easy and should give you a good idea of fit.  either skirt is good to go. :rofl

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good Morning, 

I finished the lapghan last night, I haven't taken a picture yet to post. I started a scarf for Operation Gratitude.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am trying to finish a baby gift for my sons good friends wife.  Her shower is in Jan so I wanted it done it time so my DIL can take it to the shower then I will be off and running on my baby blankets.  I am hoping to talk to the manager in the NICU to see what else I can start making for her.  Looking forward to this post in 2019.  I am so glad I came back to the ville cause now I have friends to talk to that do the same hobby as I love doing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, babypoohsmom said:

Darski, do you know the waist measurement for the elastic?  I guess I have to un-box my girl anyway....

I know how big I have to make them but that is from years of making them 

Basically wrap it around the waist to get the size and then reduce by about 1/2 an inch

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am excited to see so many planning out their projects for next year.  I will make mini stockings for Warmth for Warriors.  They fill them and send to active duty service members for Christmas.  I will also make lapghans as well.  They send them to our vets.  They also accept hats for military overseas and at home but I dont really like making hats.  I also make things for Pine Ridge Reservation in SD.  They literally need anything---scarves, hats, gloves, mittens, afghans, dish/wash cloths, potholders, baby stuff.  I also want to make things for Bailey4's Aztec Wishes.  Denise good for you getting the doll----making doll clothes sounds like fun.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was a quick fun easy dress to make.

American Girl Little Flamenco Dress not really a what I'd call Flamenco but it was a big hit for the colors with the high school kids when I brought one in with this year's donations.

I have another one of her designs I need to get posted.  I'm almost through with a Mary Maxim kit for a party dress.  Tonight however I need something I can work on without thinking to much so I'm going to start the mat portion of a kitchen set.  It's a playmat with stoves, sink, etc. that can be laid out and then rolled up and put away.  I figure it is kind of ideal for people who don't have lots of storage room which those big plastic kitchen sets often take up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×