CLOSED 2019 Stashbusting CAL

greyhoundgrandma

I rolled a couple balls of yarn yesterday, then I received a very lovely box from Walmart last night.  WTD -14.  Making 2 Phoenix afghans (2 because once I figure out a round, it's easy to do it again and it takes less than half the time). 

I haven't been here since Sept. 21st. Last weeks score was 0 anyway, but with a YTD of + 84, I would have gotten the bronze for Sept. After the yard sale went free, my plastic bin of assorted crochet/craft magazines was still left (someone put them on the sidewalk and took the bin :lol ). The church up the street had their fall faire last weekend, so they took some of what was left. I gave the smaller pattern booklets to my knit/crochet group, the rest I left at the church. I made another pig, some spider pins and ghost pins. Used a ball of pink, a small ball each of black and white  (+ 3)  :yay . Finally a real number :cheer . As soon as I find some orange, I'm going to make pumpkin pins too (hope I don't need to buy some).

WTD:  + 3   YTD:  + 87

Ellie 13

Deb, what colors are you using for the phoenix blanket? I'm on, I think, round 96 using Lion Brand Mandala yarn in the color thunderbird. It's a cake, so no changing colors on each round, just letting the color changes fall where they will. I'm to the point of over 1000 stitches per round, so even the less complicated rounds take a while. I like how it looks but don't understand the asymetrical corners and rounds--adding a stitch here and skipping one there for no apparent reason.

Ellie, hope you find the orange.

3 hours ago, greyhoundgrandma said:

Deb, what colors are you using for the phoenix blanket? I'm on, I think, round 96 using Lion Brand Mandala yarn in the color thunderbird. It's a cake, so no changing colors on each round, just letting the color changes fall where they will. I'm to the point of over 1000 stitches per round, so even the less complicated rounds take a while. I like how it looks but don't understand the asymetrical corners and rounds--adding a stitch here and skipping one there for no apparent reason.

I using Thunderbird for Phoenix #1 and Phoenix #2 I'm using Rainbow Falls Baby Mandala.  I'm on round 17 I think on the rainbow one and 13 on the Thunderbird.  I do a little bit on one and once I've passed where I was on the other one, the next time I'll pick up the smaller one and work on it.  Probably when the rounds get really long I'll just be doing a round at a time on each and they will be neck and neck.  Your Phoenix is what inspired me to make one because I love how it looks and I already had the same yarn.  I don't really have a good excuse for Phoenix #2.  I just wanted to do it in rainbowy colors :).

The rainbow one should be really pretty, too. How did you decide how much yarn to order? I'm going to have lots left over. I added up the yardage of the different colors in the pattern and didn't think about the fact that (evidently) only part of each color is being used up. I really want to be working on some other things, but I'm trying to get this finished before I start a new project.

On 9/29/2019 at 8:18 AM, greyhoundgrandma said:

Shoot the Moon Winner: JustDeb -4

I guess that means I have to remember to count and post next time?  eek.  I'll do my best.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, greyhoundgrandma said:

The rainbow one should be really pretty, too. How did you decide how much yarn to order? I'm going to have lots left over. I added up the yardage of the different colors in the pattern and didn't think about the fact that (evidently) only part of each color is being used up. I really want to be working on some other things, but I'm trying to get this finished before I start a new project.

I have no idea how much yarn I need but hopefully it will be enough.  Thankfully those colorways are still available if I need more and if I have too much that's never a problem lol.  I'm not cutting at color changes.  I'm just letting it flow.  Otherwise I would use solid colors, which I plan to do at some point.  I can't wait to see yours when it is finished.

I was on yesterday and forgot that I gave one of the unfinished afghans to a friend in my knit/crochet group. She said she might be able to do something with it. So another point for the 1/2 skein that went with it.

WTD:  + 4   YTD:  + 88

Ellie 13

32 minutes ago, greyhoundgrandma said:

Yep, it does. If something comes up and you can't do it, just let me know.

Not worried about being available. More worried about getting it right. 

16 minutes ago, greyhoundgrandma said:

I used two skeins this week on the Phoenix blanket....

Wow, you are cooking!  Following this pattern is such a struggle for me.  I guess it doesn't help that I get interrupted a lot, but the way it is written is too wordy for me.  I am thinking of rewriting each round as I go. to make future ones easier.

Howdy all! I didn't get very much stitching in this week. I received a large bag of bulky yarn from my sister's sister-in-law. She said a lady gave it to her because she knits. She's since given up the craft. 27 skeins! I don't have a clue what to do with it yet. After working so much with thread, it's bound to feel like marine cable.

WTD -54

Have a happy week!

4 hours ago, JustDeb said:

Wow, you are cooking!  Following this pattern is such a struggle for me.  I guess it doesn't help that I get interrupted a lot, but the way it is written is too wordy for me.  I am thinking of rewriting each round as I go. to make future ones easier.

Well, the first one was mostly used last week. LOL 

Yeah, I've marked on my pattern, breaking it up into sections. Using different colored pencils/ink can help with that too. The center of each side usually goes ok but I have to look back at the pattern on the corner parts. I haven't measured mine, but it is getting huge. I think about 5 or 6 more rounds to go.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TexasPurl said:

Howdy all! I didn't get very much stitching in this week. I received a large bag of bulky yarn from my sister's sister-in-law. She said a lady gave it to her because she knits. She's since given up the craft. 27 skeins! I don't have a clue what to do with it yet. After working so much with thread, it's bound to feel like marine cable.

WTD -54

Have a happy week!

Sounds like there are some warm scarves and hats in your future.

• Like 1

Hi all! This week I made a baby set of a carseat blanket, jacket and hat that used 3 skeins and I started a big shell stitch blanket for a Christmas gift and have used 3 skeins on that so far....but I also had to buy 6 skeins to use on that same blanket, so it was a washout lol.

WTD 0

YTD -33

Next week the Rozeta CAL starts and I'll be making 2 at the same time! Very excited for that....and I'm using all stash yarn for both!

2 hours ago, greyhoundgrandma said:

Well, the first one was mostly used last week. LOL 

Yeah, I've marked on my pattern, breaking it up into sections. Using different colored pencils/ink can help with that too. The center of each side usually goes ok but I have to look back at the pattern on the corner parts. I haven't measured mine, but it is getting huge. I think about 5 or 6 more rounds to go.

I tried the rewriting for a few rounds and then determined it's not worth all that extra effort.  I'd rather be crocheting. . .