CLOSED 2019 Stashbusting CAL

greyhoundgrandma

7 hours ago, greyhoundgrandma said:

Our garden didn't do well this year. We've had a problem with tomatoes for several years now. This year even the eggplants have not done well and they usually produce almost too well. We got a halfway decent amount of squash and a few tomatoes and eggplants. Several years ago we stopped growing peas and butterbeans when a friend started his truck farm. Much less work to buy already shelled from him.

I noticed this post.  when you plant tomatoes it helps immensely to put cut up banana peels in the hole.  You will get more tomatoes than you could imagine. 

There is also a mulch made of diced banana peel, coffee grounds (dried) and egg shells (broken) it's an amazing cure for tired soil

I wonder if it’s because bananas have potassium?

I’ve been weaving in millions of ends this week, so I didn’t use up any skeins. I’m trying to get my sweater done so that I can start on the baby sweater. 

Stashbuster Total: WTD 0 YTD +23

:manyheart

2 hours ago, darski said:

I noticed this post.  when you plant tomatoes it helps immensely to put cut up banana peels in the hole.  You will get more tomatoes than you could imagine. 

There is also a mulch made of diced banana peel, coffee grounds (dried) and egg shells (broken) it's an amazing cure for tired soil

Thanks for the tip! I'll have to give that a try.

WTD +6

2 hours ago, PBLKNP said:

I wonder if it’s because bananas have potassium?

I’ve been weaving in millions of ends this week, so I didn’t use up any skeins. I’m trying to get my sweater done so that I can start on the baby sweater. 

Stashbuster Total: WTD 0 YTD +23

:manyheart

Just googled it and yes, higher levels of potassium produce higher yields, affect the sugar level/acidity and ripening, help with rot problems caused by high nitrogen. I learned something new today. LOL

• Like 1

Hi everyone!!!

This week I finished the Lost Soul based baby blanket. It's just barely shy of 4 ft square. Used 3 full skeins and balled what was left of 3 more (+9). And I actually made it through the week without buying any yarn!!!

WTD:+9

YTD:-78

At this point I'm going to be thrilled if I can just break even by the end of the year lol. As I was finishing this up, another friend asked me to make her a set of turtles, so that's what's on my hook next!

20190823_223515.jpg

Week ending on 08/24/2019

🥇 Gold Medal Winner: Inkked0317 +9

🥈 Silver Medal Winner: It's a tie! greyhoundgrandma & Ellie 13  +6

🥉 Bronze Medal Winner: pineknott +5

Making Progress: 

• TexasPurl +4 

Holding Steady: 0

• PBLKNP

No Shoot the Moon Winner!!!

Have a happy week! 💖 

Great job stashbusting this week!

I finished the planet earth blanket but didn't use up any more skeins. In fact they said it took 9 skeins but to get 10 to be able to manipulate the colors if you wanted to. I have two unused skeins and probably half of a third one in two pieces left over. Oh well, better too much than running out before you're done.

20190825_171347.thumb.jpg.ddf45ba0a1d798c5c70a6936f68b7b07.jpg

• Like 1

Hi, I need to read the directions and then join you all. 

Love the lost soul blanket. Will have to look that one up to make. 

Been watching the Planet Earth progress . I never join those cause I never can figure out what yarn to use for it or the color. But love it!!

• Like 1

owlvamp, glad to have you in the group! I know what you mean about picking a yarn. They suggested the bernat pop and there were pictures of blankets that had been made including one with the foggy notion yarn. I decided I liked that color and went from there.

12 hours ago, greyhoundgrandma said:

I finished the planet earth blanket but didn't use up any more skeins. In fact they said it took 9 skeins but to get 10 to be able to manipulate the colors if you wanted to. I have two unused skeins and probably half of a third one in two pieces left over. Oh well, better too much than running out before you're done.

It's fabulous Mona! 

Thanks, Debbie. Now its back to the Phoenix blanket but I really want to start on the Mary Maxim kit.I

Reminder: this is the last week of the month, so please post both your WTD and YTD scores on Saturday.

Edited by greyhoundgrandma

Hi! It's been half of forever since I've jumped in here. With no computer at home (it died back in April or May) and limited opportunity at work, I just kind of feel off the radar. I haven't done any crocheting in months, either. Summer was crazy busy and when I had time to sit, I just kind of collapsed! It's time to get back to it, though!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, howieann said:

Hi! It's been half of forever since I've jumped in here. With no computer at home (it died back in April or May) and limited opportunity at work, I just kind of feel off the radar. I haven't done any crocheting in months, either. Summer was crazy busy and when I had time to sit, I just kind of collapsed! It's time to get back to it, though!

Welcome back!

I made another potholder, finished all the afghan squares and :crocheting 26 of them together, 10 more and the border to go. I used a skein and rolled down a skein (+3) :cheer  . It got chilly one night, so I went into my closet to get a blanket and a bag of :yarn jumped off the shelf. It was a tangled mess, so last night I got around to checking it out and to see what I could do with it. There were 3 skeins and some tangled balls/partial skeins. After about 2 hrs. of detangling/rolling I got 10 decent sized balls and a pile of useless scraps (a balls worth). I donated 1 skein, 8 balls and threw out the scrap pile (+11) :yay . I needed more cotton, so today I went to A.C. Moore and bought 8 Sugar & Cream @ $1.00 (- 16). My score so far this week: + 3 + 11 - 16 = - 2 . I hope to use some more before Sat.

WTD: - 2  YTD: + 81

Ellie 13

Edited by Ellie 13

I made another potholder and rolled 2 cotton skeins (+ 2) :cheer . I'm redoing my elephant pattern because I changed the trunk. I thought, what if I didn't make the trunk separate, but started with the trunk and continued with the head/body. I'm working it out with scrap yarn, I'd have to get more gray to for the finished item. I want to get a nice one done before Sept. 15th. I'm going to a BBQ at my sister's, a belated birthday party for my 4 yr. old grandniece. I'll also get to see my new grandniece (her baby sister) born June 28th. If my other niece can make the party, I'll get to see my other grandniece born on the 4th of July.

WTD:  0  YTD:  + 83

Ellie 13