Adding to the top and bottom??

Torylynn

Question

I'm trying to finish my first real project, it's a blanket and I love how it's turned out so far. My problem is I bought too little yarn to finish the height that I want and now I can't seem to find the same colour anywhere and can't buy online. I've found a colour that will go well with the blanket but I'm not sure how to add it on. 

I need help learning how to add into the bottom and the top so the part I've finished will be in the middle. I'm just wanting to add a skein on each end to add some height, but not sure how to go about that. 

I hope that made sense, any help is appreciated! Thanks so much! 

5 answers to this question

Is the blanket worked in rows? You can work in the free loops at the base of the first row (back side of the beginning ch). Turn it so the wrong side of the first row is facing you, attach the new yarn in the first loop with a sl st, make your turning ch, then work as if it were the next row in the pattern. Just make sure you get the same number stitches per row. Basically, you turn the afghan around and work into the ch as if you were just starting. I've done a pattern that started in the middle, some kind of V stitch (shell?). I hope this helps. Good luck.

Ellie 13

You could also add a border all around of single crochet being sure to make the corners with either 3 sc or (sc, ch 1, sc) in each one. Then add your new skeins to each end.

6 hours ago, Ellie 13 said:

Is the blanket worked in rows? You can work in the free loops at the base of the first row (back side of the beginning ch). Turn it so the wrong side of the first row is facing you, attach the new yarn in the first loop with a sl st, make your turning ch, then work as if it were the next row in the pattern. Just make sure you get the same number stitches per row. Basically, you turn the afghan around and work into the ch as if you were just starting. I've done a pattern that started in the middle, some kind of V stitch (shell?). I hope this helps. Good luck.

Ellie 13

This sounds like what I'm wanting to do, now how do I attach it with a slip stitch? I tried to tie the new skein on and that didn't work and I tried a sl st on my hook and that didn't work and then I just got frustrated and gave up and decided to ask for some help here!

2 ways (that I can think of) to start a new piece of yarn in a new spot.

First, you understand what Ellie13 meant by the unused loops or loop of the beginning chain, right?

The first way:  with a 'naked' hook,stick the hook into the first unused 'underside' loop, yarn over with the new yarn, pull thru, and make one chain.  This will secure the yarn so you can proceed.  This chain would be the turning chain if your first new stitch is a sc, or you'd want to add 2 more (total 3 chains) if your first stitch is a DC.  

The second way; Put a slip knot on the hook.  Now it depends what your first stitch is: if it's a sc, just make a sc in the first unused 'underside' loop.  If the first stitch is a DC, yarn over the hook first, and complete the DC into that first 'underside' loop.  

17 hours ago, Granny Square said:

2 ways (that I can think of) to start a new piece of yarn in a new spot.

First, you understand what Ellie13 meant by the unused loops or loop of the beginning chain, right?

The first way:  with a 'naked' hook,stick the hook into the first unused 'underside' loop, yarn over with the new yarn, pull thru, and make one chain.  This will secure the yarn so you can proceed.  This chain would be the turning chain if your first new stitch is a sc, or you'd want to add 2 more (total 3 chains) if your first stitch is a DC.  

The second way; Put a slip knot on the hook.  Now it depends what your first stitch is: if it's a sc, just make a sc in the first unused 'underside' loop.  If the first stitch is a DC, yarn over the hook first, and complete the DC into that first 'underside' loop.  

Granny Square to the rescue once again! The "naked hook" method is exactly what I was trying to do but just couldnt figure it out in my head. Thank you very much, you've definitely solved my issue! I'll finally be able to finish my first real project! 

Thanks again for all the help!

Archived