pattern help?

DMKavaguti

Question

Hello everyone!

I began doing a little thing for a friend as a gift (I know, I know, I'm a bit late hahah), but I'm stuck in the first three rounds:

Using black yarn, ch 16,

Rnd 1: Sc into the 2nd ch from the hook, sc in next 13 ch, 3 sc in next sc, (working on the back of the ch), sc in next 13 sc, 2 sc in the next ch, sl st into the first sc. (32)

Rnd 2: Ch 1, [sc in next 15 sc, 2 sc in next sc] repeat twice, sl st into the first sc. (34)

Rnd 3: Ch 1, sc in each sc around, sl st into the first sc. (34)

So, my questions:

1. Does "working on the back of the ch" mean to do it through the back bumps, or something else entirely?

2. Besides the number, what is the difference between "3 sc in next sc" and "2 sc in the next ch"?

3. What does "sc in each sc around" mean?

Any help is much appreciated! Thank you!

2 answers to this question

It looks like you work the first part around the beginning ch. You sc across the ch to the last ch, put 3 sc in the last ch. working in the back of the ch you use the free loops (Fr Lps), the little loops at the bottom of the sc you made. Putting 2 sc in the last Fr Lp then sl st in the 1st sc gives you 3 sc in the end of the ch. The ch will have 15 sc down both sides , with 1 extra sc in each end (32), you now work in rounds, not rows. In rnd 2, you are increasing, adding 1 st at at each end (34). Work [sc in each sc] around means put 1 sc in each st, no increases this rnd, you'll have the same number, 34, you had in the round below. I hope this helps.

Ellie 13

^ what she said.  It is a little disorienting the first time one runs across this. 

A while ago, I drew a little diagram to explain this, see below.  The black line is the chain and becomes the center of the oval.  Red is round 2, blue is round 3.  At each end of the chain you are adding stitches to turn the corners, making a half circle on 1 end and another half circle at the other end.  You might find it useful to put a stitch marker at the center of the turning circle, or where the turns start, and/or where the first stitch of the round is - these points will help you navigate around.  It gets easier after a few rounds, when it looks more like an oval.  The important thing is to center the increases over the same spot in each round.

WORK AROUND A CHAIN 3.jpg

Archived