Help

Mercedes Here

Question

4 answers to this question

Hi, welcome to the 'ville!

To make you feel better, you didn't do anything 'wrong'.  Unfortunately this happens when working center-out in the round like this, with the same side always facing, and patterns usually never tell you about it.

Crochet stitches have a slight bias to them.  When you work back and forth, turning each round, the bias cancels itself out like this:

////

\\\\

////

\\\\

The bias alternates direction when the piece is turned, so it 'looks straight'.  If you don't turn, the bias builds up, slowly causing the stitches to continue to appear to be swirling.  I wish patterns like this would tell you to turn every round, but they seldom do.  There are 2 benefits to turning: not only does it stop the swirl, but it makes the blanket reversible, no right and 'wrong' side.

When you make little squares like the middle ones, that bias still happens but it's so slight over a few rounds you don't notice it.  It's when you have lots of rounds that the bias builds up to be noticeable.

If this were my project, I'd rip back to a few rows  outside the center 4 squares, and re-do from there but turn each round.  Sorry, I suspect you may be on a holiday deadline and didn't want to hear that...

Thank you for your kind welcome!

Yikes!!  Yes, on a Christmas deadline ..Should be ready for next Christmas.  LOL  I appreciate your words of wisdom on making these afghans that go center out.  I was about to pull my hair out trying to figure out what the heck was wrong.  So happy I found this crochet site.

Merry Christmas to you & your loved ones!  

How old is she? A very young child (under 5) won't notice it and if they drag it around it'll get out of shape anyway. You could wash and try blocking it. With the time you have left, you could make a scarf. Make squares in a row for as long as you want, then work a border around it.

Ellie 13

Archived