“Block” in pattern?

simplepie

Question

Hi all! I’m new to this forum... thanks for being here! My name is Leah and I have 20 years. I am making a couple scarves for my friends and I cannot figure out this pattern!! I have tried looking up “block” so many times and I can’t figure it out. I am not supposed to switch colors or anything... I just can’t understand what the block is or how to do it or what this should look like. I would appreciate any help!!! Thank you so much :)

image.jpg

99F1021F-3CC5-48FA-AC91-C93B63EC2972.jpeg

7 answers to this question

You figured out the block, but it's not uncommon for a pattern to say 'yadda yadda - xyz stitch made', where xyz may be a name the designer made up and is just using 'xyz' for a shortcut for a set of instructions going forward.  And you may never see 'xyz' stitch in any other pattern.  Or, 'xyz' could be called a shell or cluster or a name of a common stitch type that has dozens of variations, and are defining what that word means in THIS pattern.

OK, row 7.  It sounds like the piece is getting wider at this point, because you are chaining 6, which is not just a turning chain BUT will form a base to make more stitches into--you will be adding 3 stitches at that spot, into the 4th, 5th, and 6th chain from the hook.  This is a common way to add stitches to the beginning of a row if you're adding several.

If you are questioning the parentheses, in 'proper' US crochet grammar it means to do all that stuff in 1 stitch.  Here is a link to US pattern standards - it's the index page, look at 'crochet patterns, how to read'.   https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/standards

38 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

You figured out the block, but it's not uncommon for a pattern to say 'yadda yadda - xyz stitch made', where xyz may be a name the designer made up and is just using 'xyz' for a shortcut for a set of instructions going forward.  And you may never see 'xyz' stitch in any other pattern.  Or, 'xyz' could be called a shell or cluster or a name of a common stitch type that has dozens of variations, and are defining what that word means in THIS pattern.

OK, row 7.  It sounds like the piece is getting wider at this point, because you are chaining 6, which is not just a turning chain BUT will form a base to make more stitches into--you will be adding 3 stitches at that spot, into the 4th, 5th, and 6th chain from the hook.  This is a common way to add stitches to the beginning of a row if you're adding several.

If you are questioning the parentheses, in 'proper' US crochet grammar it means to do all that stuff in 1 stitch.  Here is a link to US pattern standards - it's the index page, look at 'crochet patterns, how to read'.   https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/standards

Thank you so much! I think I am on the right track and I am in the middle of step 7, and I don’t understand what it means by 1st block and last block... I did the * in row 7 twice and here is where I am left. row 7 says “sl st in ch-3 sp of last block, turn.” And then row 8 says “sl st in first 3 dc”.. I am unsure where I should slip stitch. Thank you!!

image.jpg

You're welcome!  Ah, you are making a brick stitch, aka crazy stitch piece (I've not done this specific stitch and didn't recognize that was going on by what I read in the pattern; also didn't look closely at the photo, duh).

I'm following the pattern with some scrap yarn...it's kinda fun but a bit disorienting, isn't it?  I'm a great believer in stitch markers.  I suggest putting a stitch marker around the chain-3 space (turning chain) of each round, and moving it up each row so you know where you are, since that's where the second block of a round always goes.  I use bobby pins (they don't easily fall out, and are cheaper than purchased markers), but a safety pin would work too.  Not kidding on the markers, I sort of got turned on round 3, oriented myself, but if I were continuing with this I'd have grabbed a marker at that point, and I've been crocheting for decades.  I'm sure it gets more obvious as you go along, tho, but it can't hurt...

The first block in every row starts with chain 6, DC in the 4th, 5th, and 6th stitches.  The 3 chains that you skipped above is the 3 chain space of the first block in that row.  (this is true thru row 7, it changes for row 8  because you will stop getting wider when you repeat 7 & 8 to start to make a strip with parallel edges.)

The second block of every row up to now has you making 1 slst into the 3 chain space which was part of the first block in the prior row.   The reason you have to slip stitch around the chain is because you aren't working into a stitch, you're at 'ground level and have to 'grow' a (functional) DC from the bottom up with a chain.

In row 8, the start is different to make the straight edge.  Instead of  working into the 3-chain space, you slip stitch across the 3 DC that follow that 3-ch space to 'scoot over' to the right space to start that row.

I think this is something that is better explained pictorially than in words (and I'm learning this stitch along with you, I understand the concept but I don't think I'm explaining it well) - if you go to youtube, and search "c2c crochet scarf", there are lots of video tutorials.  Hopefully this search works  The 'crochet crowd' videos I've seen for other topics are very well done, I'd start with one of those.

Archived