Need help reading Nightshade Ripple Blanket pattern

Doodlesnoot

Question

I am trying to make this pattern from WillowYarns,

image.png.5d9a77a0bd9b340a1d91076ae99f2e47.png

But, I am having trouble reading the first part of the pattern! It goes like this:

Row 1 (RS): Dc in fourth ch from hook, *ch 3, sk 3 ch, 2 dc in next ch, ch 3, sk 3 ch, (2 dc, ch 3, 2 dc) in next ch, (ch 3, sk 3 ch, 2 dc in next ch) twice, **sk 3 ch, 2 dc in next ch; rep from * 12 more times, ending last rep at **, turn.

I have the first portion correct, but this part:

"(ch 3, sk 3 ch, 2 dc in next ch) twice, **sk 3 ch, 2 dc in next ch; rep from * 12 more times, ending last rep at **, turn. " is where I am getting confused.

Specifically does the "twice" mean I do the entire "*ch 3, sk 3 ch, 2 dc in next ch, ch 3, sk 3 ch, (2 dc, ch 3, 2 dc) in next ch, (ch 3, sk 3 ch, 2 dc in next ch)" twice,

or just the "(ch 3, sk 3 ch, 2 dc in next ch)" twice?

Also, when doing the first rep and I end at 2 dc before the **

(2 dc in next ch) twice, **sk 3 ch, 2 dc in next ch,

do I not chain 3 and just skip 3 chains then double crochet the next? I tried that but it didn't look right.

I attached the pattern to this post, too. I hope I'm making some sense, any help would be greatly appreciated!

W00122(1).pdf

2 answers to this question

I think you are wondering about the double asterisk ** -- it is different from a single asterisk.  Two asterisks together is like a place marker that you completely ignore until the pattern tells you to use it, which is usually at the very end of the row.  When this happens, the pattern tells you where to pay attention to it - as this pattern does, in the last repeat--so the row will end with 2 DCs in each of the last 2 chains.

(ch 3, sk 3 ch, 2 dc in next ch)" twice

You only do what is in parenthesisis twice

2 dc in next ch) twice, **sk 3 ch, 2 dc in next ch

There is no ch 3 in this part of the instructions.  You have 2 dc in one foundation chain.  Skip the next 3 foundation chains and then put 2 dc in the next foundation chain.

Archived