Is using press studs on crochet item a good idea?

Vanessa Wee

Question

Hi all, 

i just completed crocheting a plain tissue box cover... I have also crochet some small decoration pieces for the cover. 

Instead of sewing it onto the cover, im thinking of attaching the ornaments onto the cover using press studs, so that i can easily change the ornaments out. But im not sure if using press studs is most ideal.

Anyone with similar designs please let me know whats your experience with press studs. 

7 answers to this question

I have used these on 2 layers of tightly woven fabric with interfacing between,  never on crochet.  I don't think they would be sturdy enough on  comparatively loosely plied yarn.  They take a bit of force to pull them apart, and unless you remember to carefully pry them open, you'll quickly end up with a hole in your cover or decoration.  Plus, they are going to show on the right side of your decoration.

Assuming this for a tissue box that just sits there, not a little soft purse size one that will get abused, and if this is for yourself and not a gift, you might consider sewing the decoration on with just a few stitches so you can change them out with not too much effort.  Maybe tie the sewing yarn with a bow in the back so it comes off easily (this is what I do with hat pom-poms, to take them off before washing the hat, and goes back on by just poking 2 ends thru and tying a bow again).

I have added a button to the back of crocheted flowers so they could be added or removed to scarves.  I also saw where someone added buttons to a flat crocheted Christmas tree so she could button on her crocheted ornaments so the buttons show.  It was really cute.

I was thinking of mentioning buttons too, but the OP would have had to plan ahead for a buttonholes either on the decoration or in the cover, depending on whether she wanted the button (s) to show or not.  And if there needed to be multiple connection points for the decorations, each decoration's button or buttonhole  would have to line up with the cover - also true of the press studs.

A thought for the OP - I don't drink tea but have a teapot that I've made several seasonal cozies for (mine is currently 'dressed' as a Christmas tree).  Multiple covers with permanently attached decorations might be something to consider...

Just thought I would throw the button idea out there just in case it might somehow work.  The stitches on the scarves I made were such that I didnt need specially made button holes for my buttons.  

I wonder if you could somehow use magnets----like the magnetic closures they use in purses.  

I also make towel holders that button and I dont make special button holes.  I find if I use an H hook, double crochet, worsted weight yarn I can get 3/4 inch buttons between the stitches.    The scarves were 2 strands very fuzzy yarn so I used a larger hook and double crochet.  You probably made smaller tighter stitches where buttons wouldnt work but I just wanted to give you something to think about.

This was the Christmas tree I saw and thought using buttons to hang the ornaments from was very clever and might work in other instances.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrGAt_OAHNK/

Another idea-- would the press studs work if you use a stabilizer of some sort.  

I agree with Granny Square that using press brads would be more difficult in changing things out than it is worth.

How about brads?  They come in all colors and used to come in shapes in the scrapbook section.   Would be almost the same as using buttons but no worries about making holes or lining up.  Hope that helps.  :)

Archived