3rd time ripping this apart, PLEASE HELP!

Torylynn

Question

PLEASE HELP ME!!

I'm fairly new to crocheting, I've completed little SC granny squares and they've all turned out fine. I'm trying to complete my first fully finished project, and it doesn't seem complicated at all... except it has been! This has been the third time I've ripped it apart and tried again all over. Each time I'm losing stiches! This last time I caught it early on, I started out with 108 chain stitches, second row ended up being 85 and the third was 83.. this past time I even tried using place markers at the ends of my stitches but still to no avail.. slanted edges. I'll leave the link to the pattern, I'm hoping someone can figure out what I'm doing wrong. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you! 

https://dabblesandbabbles.com/easy-cozy-crochet-blanket-2/

20181206_090639.jpg

20181206_090541.jpg

6 answers to this question

Well, you've already tried stitch markers, which would have been my first thought.

My second thought, since you lost more than 20 stitches in 1 row (!!), is that this yarn is SO thick and fuzzy you can't see what you are doing (not your fault, I wouldn't be able to see either; but I'm not a super bulky yarn fan).  It's pretty, though, like Neapolitan ice cream with berries. (can't tell if that's grey or brown on my monitor)

My third thought - an even bigger hook?  Stretching the stitches a bit with your fingers, hold it up to the light as you go so you can see better?

Your yarn looks a lot thicker to me than the one in the pattern photo.  The pattern calls for bulky US#5 yarn and P hook.  US Yarn weights and recommended hook - you might have to scroll down to see the hook "letter": 

Bulky #5 yarn recommends K to M hook,

Super Bulky #6 yarn calls for M to Q (so notice the pattern writer is recommending bulky yarn but a hook in the super-bulky suggested range),

Jumbo#7 calls for Q or bigger. 

I own a Q and an S hook from a project or 2 in my younger days holding multiple strands of worsted weight together;  your yarn looks somewhere between the thickness of the 2.  If you think about it, if you were working with worsted weight yarn and a G hook, which is pretty  typical...the hook would be bigger in diameter than the yarn.

6 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

Well, you've already tried stitch markers, which would have been my first thought.

My second thought, since you lost more than 20 stitches in 1 row (!!), is that this yarn is SO thick and fuzzy you can't see what you are doing (not your fault, I wouldn't be able to see either; but I'm not a super bulky yarn fan).  It's pretty, though, like Neapolitan ice cream with berries. (can't tell if that's grey or brown on my monitor)

My third thought - an even bigger hook?  Stretching the stitches a bit with your fingers, hold it up to the light as you go so you can see better?

Your yarn looks a lot thicker to me than the one in the pattern photo.  The pattern calls for bulky US#5 yarn and P hook.  US Yarn weights and recommended hook - you might have to scroll down to see the hook "letter": 

Bulky #5 yarn recommends K to M hook,

Super Bulky #6 yarn calls for M to Q (so notice the pattern writer is recommending bulky yarn but a hook in the super-bulky suggested range),

Jumbo#7 calls for Q or bigger. 

I own a Q and an S hook from a project or 2 in my younger days holding multiple strands of worsted weight together;  your yarn looks somewhere between the thickness of the 2.  If you think about it, if you were working with worsted weight yarn and a G hook, which is pretty  typical...the hook would be bigger in diameter than the yarn.

Thanks for the reply! I bought a set of different sized crochet hooks when I first started, the hook I'm using right now says it's a K/101/2-6.50MM. It's the largest one that came in the set.

So maybe I should buy a larger hook and try seeing if that works better?

Most definitely.  Here is a scan of US G-K hooks and Red Heart super saver worsted weight yarn.  All of these work with this yarn weight, but notice the yarn is smaller than all the hooks, even the H and G which that chart I linked said was 'too small'.

The Q I mentioned is a hair smaller in diameter than a dime, the K a hair bigger than a dime.  Didn't work in the scanner too well, sorry. 

G-K hook with RHSS.jpg

45 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

Most definitely.  Here is a scan of US G-K hooks and Red Heart super saver worsted weight yarn.  All of these work with this yarn weight, but notice the yarn is smaller than all the hooks, even the H and G which that chart I linked said was 'too small'.

The Q I mentioned is a hair smaller in diameter than a dime, the K a hair bigger than a dime.  Didn't work in the scanner too well, sorry. 

G-K hook with RHSS.jpg

That's perfect, thanks so much! I'll go and buy a bigger hook, I'm sure it will come in handy for future projects as well!

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it!

2 hours ago, Granny Square said:

G-K hook with RHSS.jpg

I think I may have fixed my problem! I watched a video that was on the pattern website that made the instructions more clear to me. It states to do 2DC's in between the "V" stitch, which I didn't understand very well, so I ended up sticking the stitch in the wrong place! Which I've  shown in my first picture. 20181206_193412.thumb.jpg.280b688b528a3df91400b84dd4cbe3d1.jpgWhen she was talking about the "V" stitch she meant the V like shape the 2 DC's make. After watching the video she said to stick the 2DC's in the gap/hole that is made while skipping a stitch, which I have shown in my second picture.20181206_193447.thumb.jpg.66498895f1f58cb2c404a1aa1bcd3544.jpg

I'm pretty sure I've found my problem there as I've had a constant 86 stitches for the past 8 rows now.

The pattern says to chain a multiple of 6 then do 1 double crochet for your first stitch, skip a stitch then do 2DC's, skip a stitch and then another 2DC's and skip then so on and so on. I had chaind 108 stitches but all my other rows after that have been 86, now because of skipping every other stitch is that how I ended up with 86?

At least you are keeping a constant count now, that's a good thing.  And working into a gap makes it much easier to keep consistent.

General theory:  For straight DC, or a pattern that starts with a DC, the rule is to chain 2 more than the number of DCs you want.  Easy way to visualize this: chain 4, DC in 4th chain from hook.  The 3 skipped chains stand in for 1 DC, then there's 1 real DC.  So you chained 2 more than the stitches you got.  So if you chained 108, you'd have 106 stitches in a pattern that started with a DC stitch.

I can't think of what's going on that would cause you to be off by 20.  If it's not puckering or flaring, keep going?

Archived