Crochet slipper sock 1976 pattern questions

catwoman

Question

Hi guys. 🙂 I was wondering if you guys can help me understand one part of this pattern? 🤔

The link to the pattern is here

http://www.******/crochet/slisoc.html

The pattern says after you do even 12 rnds(for woman's size) it says this :Back -ch 11 ?

What do does that mean and what do i do with that?

Also,I was wondering if 2 balls of worsted weight yarn is enough? I am using 2 balls of Lion Brand Vannas Choice yarn in raspberry.Each ball is 100 grams 170 yards 3.5 oz balls of yarn

Also,I was wondering what this mean when it says after ch 11 rnd 1-using both loops?

Also,how do you get into the chain 11 to put sc into the 9 scs ?
Do you have to turn the work or use the back of the ch or front?

what do you guys think? 😨

17 answers to this question

Duh, I just noticed the link to the pic.  Now it makes sense.  And I think see where your confusion is.

Before I get to the pattern part, have you ever worked in an oval?  You will be doing something similar to the start of that technique - you will be crocheting into BOTH sides of the chain.  There are 3 practical ways to make stitches into a chain, (1) back bump, (2) with chain facing, use the top loop, (3) with chain  facing, use top loop + back bump, which leaves the bottom loop free.  Doesn't matter how you prefer to do it, there's at least 1 chain free.   What you will be doing is using one side of the chain as usual, work around the foot part, and then come back and crochet into the remaining (unused) part of the chain.

OK, back to the pattern: so you have made the toe to the part where the heel starts.  You're making the women's size, so you have 25 stitches around the foot.

You chained 11.  I sort of misspoke in my first post about the 'both loops', overlooking that you were working into the chain not the stitch.  Here it is telling you to use the third method of crocheting into the chain that I noted above.  I don't think it matters, except I suspect it will be harder to use the remaining loops of  the back bump (I use the first method).  So, here we go:  Just what it says, you want to go down the chain (10 stitches - second loop, plus 9), around all 25 of the foot (you said women's size, right?  And now for the exciting part, back up the chain using the unused loop(s).

Below is a pic.  I only did 1 row of DC to represent the foot part, then chained 11.  Then I worked 10 stitches down --> the chain the usual way, around the foot, then 10 stitches up the underside of the chain this way <--.  I hope the picture helps

1004239352_slippersock.jpg.ac1606595aa844306513de55119580cc.jpg

Oops, sorry, didn't see your post yesterday.  

First question: I think that chain 1 is to transition you to the next step, which is 'sewing' the seam with slip stitches.  In other words, reaching over a bit with to position you to start the seam.

Second question: you are making a seam in the back of the foot, you'll want it smooth as possible for comfort.  Using slip stitches and just 1 loop of the stitch on either side of the seam would make the seam about as flat (least bulky) as you can with crochet. Or, leaving a long yarn end, sewing with a needle would be even flatter.  You need to match the corresponding stitches of 1 side of the seam to the other, to make a straight seam, otherwise it would be like...have you ever buttoned your shirt accidentally matching buttons to the wrong buttonholes, so one side hangs lower than the other?  That's what it means by matching the stitches across the seam, so it's 'buttoned' straight

Hi granny square.🙂 I was wondering after you do the 3 decrease rows and you ch 1 at the last Dec row .does that ch 1 count in the finishing steps?🤨🤨

Also,what does the finishing step means :carefully matching sts .slip stitch inside loops of sides together?

Does that mean to sl st one sts at a time on each side or 2 sts together at once?

The back loops make the ribbed stitches look, and everything after the "chain 11" part is ribbing, so I'd say yes, to keep the stitches looking the same.  Also, between rows 1 & 2 after the "chain 11", it says from now on  use the back loop, and doesn't say to stop.  The exception I'd make is at the very end, slip stitching the seam together; I'd use both loops to make it a bit sturdier.

Can you post a pic of what you have?  At this point, it's almost done and it should look like a sock that needs to be seamed up, (I assume the cuff).  What you typed above is telling you to match up 2 open sides and slip stitch the seam together. 

Try looking at what you have, and compare it to the green striped sock - I think showing the striped version helps to see the construction.  I'm not 100% certain, but I think the chain-11 part might really be at the center front of the cuff, not the back.

If you can't figure out where that is, I''ll give it a shot if you post a pic I can try to draw lines where it looks like the seam should be, 

I have to admit, I've made several slippers and socks and when I first saw your pattern I couldn't quite picture how the heel was constructed.  Let me study this some more and will let you know if I can figure it out, I may have to grab some yarn...

Hi grannysquare.:)Thanks for the amazing help.🙂 I was wondering in the first dec row in the pattern it says:to work sc into the next 20 sts ?Does that mean to work the after you ch 1 and turn the 10 scs in the back then work some scs into the side spaces of the back loop sts from the side ?

"Dec(rease) over next 2 sts as follows:

Draw up a loop in each of the next 2 sts; there will now be 3 loops on hook.

Now, yo and pull through all 3 loops on hook"

~~~~~~

I've taken their words & added a few of my own for clarity.  They could have just said 'sc 2 together' or SC2tog.  This is an older pattern, sometimes the writing style is different than we're used to.  They were just giving you the transaction in step-by-step detail.

The stuff before and after are just stitch instructions.  So a more modern way to say the whole thing is "sc in each of next 20 sts, SC2tog, work 1 sc" (that last sc presumably in the next stitch).

Hi grannysquare.:)Thanks for the amazing help.🙂

I was wondering what do I have to do in the first decrease row? It says: sc in each of next 20 sts ,Dec over next 2 sts as follows draw up a loop in each of the next 2 sts :3 loops on hook,yo and pull through all 3 loops on hook,work 1 sc ?

What does that stuff mean? :think

Hi, haven't 'seen' you in a while.

"Back - Ch 11" comes after you've made the toe and the foot, you are now going to start working on the heel.  The 'back' is just the position you are in with regard to the sock, not an instruction for you to do something. 

'Both loops' - you should have been stitching into both loops of stitches all along, but a couple of lines below that it tells you to use the back loops.  You are also working back and forth -- notice it says rounds after this point, not rows.

Archived