Blocking Finished Work

MsPhyllis

Question

Hi to All,

I need some advice on blocking. Currently, I have no way to block my finished items, meaning no surface to block on--not even an ironing board. But I have two scarfs (a little longer than average) that need blocking. One is made of acrylic yarn and the other one is a wool blend (20% wool). What is the best way to block these items? Also, how do you block other items, i.e., afghans, sweater sections, hats etc.? Can you fold a scarf in half to block it? What about a hat, which is double thick?

I have the funds to purchase what is needed for blocking, so do I purchase a steam iron (or a steamer), T-pins, blocks? And is there anything else that I need?

Thank you. :-)

8 answers to this question

Since I've moved and down-sized, I too am a bit space challenged when it comes to blocking.

You can buy blocking mats at most large craft stores or online like at Amazon.com, or...…

For some of my projects, I purchased a plastic tablecloth from the Dollar store, then some quilters pins (non rusting). I lay it on the carpet, pin the project to the plastic and into the carpet, shape. Lightly spray with filtered/distilled water and let dry. If it's a project for myself, I use scented (for ironing) water that I buy at places like "Bed, Bath and Beyond", such as Fresh Linen.

For small pieces like doilies, I bought a piece of plywood at Home Depot that they cut for me, 24" x 24", bought some cork self-adhesive tiles and stuck to the board.  I cut another tablecloth to fit that wraps around the sides to the back and tape it on the back. Then pin my projects and water spray or starch as needed.  Hope this helps.

A lot of people use those interlocking foam squares that are meant for a floor, or those Styrofoam rectangles, meant for insulation that you can find in Big Box hardware stores (I think they're 2'x4').  ONLY use rust resistant pins, you will be sorry and surprised how quickly other pins can rust an ruin your project.  I found mine at Walmart, fabric and craft stores should have them.  The only thing I've ever used pins for are cotton doilies, and one very lacy shawl (the latter I laid on a sheet over the carpet).  No need to pin out sweaters, hats, blankets; the latter you can just toss in the dryer (by itself, so it doesn't get pilly); sweaters and hats I just lay flat to dry over the top of my washer and dryer or clothes rack.

For acrylic, and something that's only 20% wool, 'wash and lay flat to dry' will do the trick; I am very against steam blocking acrylic, it ruins it IMO, and I've never found it necessary (I've been crocheting and knitting for nearly 50 years).  The piece becomes limp and crunchy (not the right word, but the texture changes in a bad way) and it stops being able to stretch and recover its shape as a yarny thing should.  Never steam block a wearable that needs to stretch a little, especially a hat.  It doesn't need it. 

edit, Hi Reni, we're typing at the same time again.

1 minute ago, Granny Square said:

A lot of people use those interlocking foam squares that are meant for a floor, or those Styrofoam rectangles, meant for insulation that you can find in Big Box hardware stores (I think they're 2'x4').  ONLY use rust resistant pins, you will be sorry and surprised how quickly other pins can rust an ruin your project.  I found mine at Walmart, fabric and craft stores should have them.  The only thing I've ever used pins for are cotton doilies, and one very lacy shawl (the latter I laid on a sheet over the carpet).  No need to pin out sweaters, hats, blankets; the latter you can just toss in the dryer (by itself, so it doesn't get pilly); sweaters and hats I just lay flat to dry over the top of my washer and dryer or clothes rack.

For acrylic, and something that's only 20% wool, 'wash and lay flat to dry' will do the trick; I am very against steam blocking acrylic, it ruins it IMO, and I've never found it necessary (I've been crocheting and knitting for nearly 50 years).  The piece becomes limp and crunchy (not the right word, but the texture changes in a bad way) and it stops being able to stretch and recover its shape as a yarny thing should.  Never steam block a wearable that needs to stretch a little, especially a hat.  It doesn't need it.  

Looks like we think alike Granny Square! Great minds, great minds!😄

I was going to link to a drying rack, mine is similar to this https://www.walmart.com/ip/Whitmor-Folding-Drying-Rack-White/20468148, except 1 tier shorter; you can dry something across the top, and another on the slanted part, with 3 bars across.  (edit, I use mine mostly for handmade sweaters).

You're welcome.

I don't have a precedence on whether to block right or wrong side. I use a sprayer with a very fine mist and just lightly spray. I don't want the water to bead up on the piece. Then I let it completely dry before removing the pins. Here's a quick video tutorial for pinning and spraying: Blocking.

Archived