Hi! HELP please!! :)

JustMary13

Hi! I’m trying to make a baby bear hat and there is one row I don’t understand... i

I'm stuck on Round 10.... any help would be greatly appreciated!!   It’s just one row and I have 50 stitches  in row 9. I’m stuck where it says hdc in bextb24(4,4) hdc... can anyone please help me understand this entire row?? It would mean so much! This is for my grandson. :)  thank you!

http://www.redheart.com/files/patterns/pdf/LM5820-Crochet Bear-Hat-Free-Pattern.pdf

Hi, welcome to the 'ville!

See at the top of the third column, where it says "Directions are for size 6 months. Changes for sizes 12 months and Child are in parentheses."

Up thru round 9, the directions for all 3 sizes are the same.  On round 10, you have to do something different, so you read "hdc in next 24 (4, 4) hdc" as "HDC 24 for six month size, (4 for 12 month size, and 4 for child size)".  This is common notation in knit and crochet patterns that are written for multiple sizes.  

What often I do is go thru the pattern before starting and circle the size I'm working.  Your pattern isn't too hard to spot your size, but sometimes you'll have for example 6 sizes, so the instructions are like "x in the next 24(27, 30, 33, 36, 39) stitches", and it's easier to grab the wrong number by mistake.  Also, it doesn't hurt to skim thru the whole pattern first anyway to make sure it makes sense to you.

Archived