nycsofia

Question

Hello!

I am very new to crocheting. I have been a knitter for the last 30 years. My mom has always preferred to crochet. She is going to be 80 soon. After a recent hospitalization, we decided to make a quilt together with my 14yo daughter. After looking for a while, we came upon Ellen Gormley's triangle pattern found here: https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/triangles-afghan

The pattern calls for 3 colors. However, I found a picture (attached) that shows the same pattern but using 6 colors. The pattern also specifies worsted weight, 5.0mm needle. Both my mom and I have tried to do practice triangles. And they are not coming out like the pictures. 

1. The holes in ours are way larger than the holes in these pics. The hole comes from creating a ch3 followed by a 2dc. I tried decreasing it to ch2 instead but the holes are still too big. 

2. I'm thinking tha worsted weight yarn may be too heavy for what was used to create the red and blue blankets. 

I would LOVE to get your help for:

1. How to make the holes smaller. 

2. What kind of weight yarn may have been used in the 2 pics.

This blanket is special for us. I would love us 3 to create something beautiful as well as the memories to go with it. Thank you for your help!

Sofia

d4b52fc30ea65c410c3eabfcbd4f9d1e.jpg

Screenshot 2018-11-27 00.27.36.png

b6074f3cd8611a3ac32f41077836c43f.jpg

4 answers to this question

To be honest your triangle looks nice and pretty comparable to those in the afghans shown on Ravelry.  

I dont like large holes either so I often do what you did and decrease chains by as many as I can and still retain the shape.  You might be able to eliminate the chains and work more dc's to get around the corner.  Along with that I will also use a smaller hook and work my stitches tighter.  To eliminate the center hole I would use a magic ring to start. 

https://www.planetjune.com/blog/tutorials/magic-ring-right-handed/

In the blue one it looks to me like they have taken a strand of yarn and woven through the holes which filled them in and created a design.  

I agree with BGS on the magic ring, that's the best crochet tip I've ever learned on the internet I think; nice thing is you can adjust it to close completely (or nearly so), or open up if you need to (sometimes opening impedes doily ruffling for example).   The other holes don't look out of line to me.

If the magic ring seems complicated--you have been making magic rings every time you started a project, and didn't know it.  It's a slip knot, like you'd use to put the initial loop on your hook--make it like usual over your hook, Just don't close the loop - with the tail to the left, and no loop ON your hook, pull up a loop thru the center of the slip knot, yarn over and pull thru - now you have a slip stitch around your slip knot/magic loop, and can proceed, working over the tail and the loop.  Later you can tighten it with the tail as much as you want; just make sure you leave a long enough end  to weave in securely, as this has a little less structure than a chain start.  

The pattern calls for Red Heart Super Saver, which has been pretty much the same stuff (weight wise) for decades, and it is worsted/aran weight.

For the corners, try 2 chains instead of 3; for granny squares, which have 6 DC in the corners, 3 chains is plenty, so 2 chains should work fine for 4 stitches.

One thing to look for is make sure you three calibrate your stitch tensions if you are making this together.  I've told the story here a couple of times of my SIL and I collaborating on a project with a hook size difference of several mm to get the same gauge (like she'll use an F hook and I have to use a J to match her, for example).

Here's rnd 1 before yanking the center closed and with 2 chains in the corners, and rnd 2 with center closed as tight as I could over 15 stitches.  The corners worked fine over 2 not 3 chains, only little thing is you might want to watch that the last corner stitch overlaps the first DC top after the corner a little, watch that you don't miss it and lose stitches.  Was lazy, this is plain DC not post stitches but shouldn't make a difference.

This is Red Heart Super Saver and an I hook.  Edit - Whoa, sorry pics so big.

scan0019.jpg

scan0021.jpg

Thank you so much for these tips! We are going to try the magic ring tonight. Neither of us have done this before. But yesterday, we did a couple of more practice triangles and ch2 for the corners. In the first couple of triangles, my mom and I had completely different gauges - mostly bc I'm such a newbie. 

I'm also going to find a DK weight yarn to see if that helps as well.

Thank you both for your tips and help!

Archived