Need help with Cables Hooded Cowl Pattern

Lyaila73

Question

I’m working on the cabled portion of a pattern and need some help sorting out this portion called “forward cable” it says “skip each of the next 2 posts sts. And next 2 sc. FPtr around each of the next 2 posts sts, working in front of the posts sts just made, FPtr around each skipped post st.”

okay so I skip the two posts, skip the two sc. I do the FPtr in the following two post sts. So it’s 4 stitches away from where my last stitch was. Then it says to FPtr around the skipped stitches. Do I go backwards? Or am I misreading that entirely?

4 answers to this question

When you make a cable, yes indeed you will work 'backward', sorta--you're working stitches out of order.  Sometimes it can seem like quite a stretch, some people opt to use taller stitches to cover the distance depending on their stitch height gauge.  For a 2x2 cable, having to skip 4 stitches is normal.

5 hours ago, Granny Square said:

When you make a cable, yes indeed you will work 'backward', sorta--you're working stitches out of order.  Sometimes it can seem like quite a stretch, some people opt to use taller stitches to cover the distance depending on their stitch height gauge.  For a 2x2 cable, having to skip 4 stitches is normal.

Awesome! Thank you so after I skip 4 stitches, the the two treble stitches, I’ll go back to the two posts sts I skipped and I’ll still work those right to left as a right handed crocheter, correct? 

Row 7 is where I’m at. So after the fwd cable it says 2 sc in next stitch. Do I do that in the 2 skipped sts or do I go back to the sts after the treble?

E8F14E24-1BCC-448B-B9DB-314FB5D9C650.png

When you do a post stitch, whether or not it's crossed as in a cable, you work in the post of a stitch in a row below.  This 'uses up the place of' the next stitch in the current row, even though you aren't stitching INTO it.  So, the stitches in the current row that are 'skipped' in the cable are used up by the cable's use of posts of stitches BELOW them.  I hope that's not clear as mud..

That makes sense but there are still two stitches unaccounted for I guess. I think now that I know I’m working backward in a ways I can play with it and see where I get. I don’t really know how to explain my question at this point lol.

Archived