Connecticut Yankee bedspread

briennesuperczynski

Question

4 answers to this question

Hi and welcome to the 'ville!

Are you going to make this in thread?  2 reasons for asking...(1) I do a lot of threadwork, have been crocheting nearly 50 years but have never done anything so large, because I think I'd get bored with it before it was bigger than a table runner, and nowadays my hands would give out by that time too.  And did you notice it will take 18,000 YARDS of thread (45 balls of 400 yards each)? (Aunt Lydia has 1000 yard balls @ $7 each on their website, so that's $126.00... (2), if you're thinking using yarn, to figure the yardage I'd make 1 motif in scrap yarn (same brand and weight you want to use)  first to see what it will look like in a larger scale.  Then, unravel it and measure the yardage used, then do some math: the X square inches in the swatch, used Y yards of yarn, so is Z yards per square inch.  The size of the bedspread you want to make is N square inches, so multiply N by z for the approximate yardage you'll need.  Or, alternately and maybe easier, figure how many motifs you'll need to make the bedspread, multiplied by the yardage in 1 motif.

Here's a site that tells you how to measure a bed to figure the size you need to make a bedspread - top of the mattress, plus drop to the floor on 3 sides, and allowance for pillow tuck if that applies.  I know the pattern gives a size, but mattresses are a lot thicker now  than they were then...

As far as easy, it's all basic stitches except the popcorn, which is also easy but it's a little 'different'.  It's sort of like a shell, where you put multiple stitches into 1, except with a twist - after making the stitches, you take the hook out, put it in the top of the first and 'out' of the top of the last stitch, yarn over, pull thru - this makes it 3 dimensional.  I'm sure there are videos out there showing how it's done.  The only other thing I can think of, is that the pattern looks like there are a "lot of words", but really beyond the center the last 4 rounds are fairly similar to each other.  And once you've made a couple of motifs, you'll probably have it memorized.

Notice round 7 ends in the 4th printed line of the round, where it says to 'break thread, which you are to do for the first motif ONLY.  From there it proceeds to tell you how to continue from motif 2 to infinity by joining the motifs as you go.  I wanted to point this out, because you will end up with a mess if you ignore it and just make a pile of motifs; because it's so lacy you don't want to try to sew them together.

Oh my goodness, than you so much for your information. I thought I would try one square at true size to see if I thought I could do it. I have two beds... so need to make two bedspreads.... I might have to cheat and use something larger. The 7 steel hook is so small. However, I do spend too much time on phone games, so maybe it's time to be productive! 

I will keep you updated on my progress. I am looking at other patterns as well which don't have popcorns, which might be a little easier and faster for me to make... and use a little less thread!

Thanks again,

Brienne.

You're very welcome!  I didn't want to scare you entirely away from this particular project, but I did want to make sure you understood that  this was a BIG undertaking.  And 2 bedspreads...yikes.  (Plus I'd never figured the yardage of one of these before, that's crazy...over 3 miles of thread.)

Also agree about the popcorns.  It is my favorite 'bumpy stitch', but this has a LOT of them and you're right, they'd eat up a lot of yardage.

My mother made a few in her years. They weren’t perfect, but incredibly beautiful and special. I do have a little time on my hands, but my main concern is whether I will be able to see well enough. Aging eyes, and all. I decided to purchase one ball or skein of thread and practice a couple of rows to see if I can do it. If not, nothing lost. It would be a nice gift to give to my kids one day in the far, far, future, though!

Archived