Reading pattern problems

Strgzr

Question

In the following pattern I'm having problems understanding parts:

In "special stitch- 3 dc cluster"-What does "within one step of completion" mean? For ex In Round 3- "Cluster in next hdc" does that then mean to make 3 dc in the hdc?

Then later in pattern (no pic of this) it says "Cluster in next hdc *ch2, sk2 st, puff in next hdc*. Repeat from * 18 times....etc...so in Special Stitch description at top, it talks about "shell stitch" -is that the "puff" the pattern says to make? I thought a "puff" was somehow joining a group of stitches as one so it puffs out, but this looks like you just make 5hdc in same stitch? (For ex, I read one place a "puff" was making all those 5 st, then drop needle out of last one, and pick up first loop and pull all together, or something similar-hard to describe here. Please explain.

screenshot2.thumb.png.f8c3937d8b23aafecbf2317fdfa8ba78.png

2 answers to this question

To make a DC completely, yo, put hook into stitch, yo, pull loop thru stitch, yo, pull thru 2, pull thru 2 again .  It's telling you don't do that last thing in bold.  You'll have 2 loops on your hook.  If you do that series of steps AGAIN into the same stitch, you'll have 3 loops on the hook.  ONE MORE time into the same stitch, you'll have 4 loops on the hook, just as it says--3 incomplete DCs.  Now, pull thru all 4 of the loops - now you have a cluster, and 1 loop on your hook.

So you are making 3 incomplete DCs into the stitch, then completing them all at once, to make a cluster.

As for a puff stitch--no, it's not a  shell, and I'm surprised it doesn't define it.  As you can see, a shell isn't connected at the top, while a cluster and a puff (and popcorn) are.  Here's a puff stitch tutorial that defines it as I understand it--the number of yarnovers can vary  http://www.lookatwhatimade.net/crafts/yarn/crochet/crochet-tutorials/crochet-puff-stitch/  Surprisingly, while looking for a tutorial for the puff, I found one that shows your CLUSTER, which...huh?  https://www.dummies.com/crafts/crocheting/stitches/how-to-crochet-a-puff-stitch/.  Personally, the puff is one of my least favorite stitches (the "real" puff, I can't make them as tidy as I'd like), so I usually sub a cluster or a popcorn stitch -- but that's just me.  If I were doing your pattern, if there was a visual reason for the puff to look different than the cluster, I'd sub popcorns for puffs, otherwise just make the cluster for both clusters and puffs.

Popcorns in case you are interested - sort of like a shell, except you take the hook out of the last stitch and slip stitch the first stitch to the last.  Sticks out the most IMO. This shows 5 stitches, the number can vary https://www.dummies.com/crafts/crocheting/stitches/how-to-crochet-popcorn-stitch/

Archived