what "make 1 sc together on 2 stitches" means?

mpserrador

Question

Hello! I'm new to crochet and decided to give as a birthday present an amigurumi scorpion! May the gods be with me. I was doing ok until I stumbled across the pattern: make 1 sc together on 2 stitches. From my search, I thought it meant sc2tog. I'm supposed to do 6 rings like this and after two I am out of space. So I am guessing "make 1 sc together on 2 stitches" means a different thing. Can somebody help me? Thank you

2 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!  It sounds like sc2tog (decrease) to me too; maybe the pattern writer was not a native English speaker?  The only other thing that combination of words could mean is make 2 stitches into 1 (increase), "2 new stitches together into 1 old stitch to add a stitch" versus "2 old stitches combined into 1 new stitch to decrease a stitch".

Do the rows give a stitch count at the end of the row? Can you tell what part of the bug you are making--are you finishing the top of the head perhaps, or it's waist where you would want to almost run out of stitches?  Or is it a spot where it gets wider?  Sometimes looking closely at the pattern photo helps to figure out what confusing bits are trying to convey.

Archived