Looking for traditional/regional lace or doilies (Czechoslovakia)

Marty Hillman

Question

Go ahead and call me weird, but I am looking for traditional doily or lace patterns to crochet in thread for various countries.  Each country or region seems to have its own particular style and technique (for example, Romanian point lace, Irish crochet, etc.). As I have been tracking the wife's ancestry through Czechoslovakia and Bohemia, I would like to create a piece of artwork suitable for framing as a Christmas gift that would reflect her heritage.

Does anyone know of a better way to locate or search for traditional or antique patterns that would reflect a vintage style for specific countries?  I would prefer to stay away from modern patterns.

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

5 answers to this question

Not weird at all!.  Have you ever been to Antique Pattern Library?  I've linked to the main page, but there are sub pages you can navigate to (like just look at crochet for example, at the menu right above where it says 'welcome'), or if you choose to look at the whole catalog (menu at the very top of the page), you can do a search on Czechoslovakia and Bohemia.   

I only found 1 Czech mention and 1 Bohemia mention, both leading to the same book.  It covers embroidery, not crochet, and tho it says 1920s? it's by Therese Dilmont (1846-1890) so written much earlier.  But, there are some lovely color plates that should translate to colorwork in crochet, maybe a framed sampler in colored thread?.  If you do a search on "cz" from the catalog page, you'll find the book--we're not supposed to post PDF files on this forum.  "Dillmont, Th. de, ed., D.M.C. Czecho-Slovakian Embroideries". 

2 hours ago, Granny Square said:

Not weird at all!.  Have you ever been to Antique Pattern Library?  I've linked to the main page, but there are sub pages you can navigate to (like just look at crochet for example, at the menu right above where it says 'welcome'), or if you choose to look at the whole catalog (menu at the very top of the page), you can do a search on Czechoslovakia and Bohemia.   

I only found 1 Czech mention and 1 Bohemia mention, both leading to the same book.  It covers embroidery, not crochet, and tho it says 1920s? it's by Therese Dilmont (1846-1890) so written much earlier.  But, there are some lovely color plates that should translate to colorwork in crochet, maybe a framed sampler in colored thread?.  If you do a search on "cz" from the catalog page, you'll find the book--we're not supposed to post PDF files on this forum.  "Dillmont, Th. de, ed., D.M.C. Czecho-Slovakian Embroideries". 

Thanks for the tips!  My searching kept turning up colored glass beadwork.  It has been awhile since I visited Antique Pattern Library.  Most of the items I saw there were collar pieces from the turn of the century, but I will have a new look.

Thanks again!

Archived