Spellbinding by Patricia Kristofferson done with J & P Coats antique thread

Marty Hillman

My wife found a bulk lot of J & P Coats Knit-Cro-Sheen size 10 at a yard sale for $0.25 US per 250 yard skein.  The thread had been sitting in a storage unit since at least 1952.  It was still in excellent condition with only slight discoloration on the outer bands.  I decided to take advantage of it and begin making doilies.  Though I intend to use most of the 12 skeins for antique doily patterns I have found at the Library of Congress and the Smithsonian Institute, this particular pattern from Patricia Kristofferson in Leisure Arts #3161 lent itself wonderfully to this thread.  I was looking to build a test project to see how the thread worked itself up.  The photo was taken on a black suede backboard on which it is being matted and framed to be used as wall art.

You can notice the slight discolorations in the thread caused by the 70 years of non-climate controlled storage.  I personally like the character of the thread and have decided not to bleach nor try to color correct any of the projects I make with it.

Let me know your thoughts.

IMG_1252.thumb.jpeg.859e1d19a607d9f223eaa4d49f442d8e.jpeg

Archived