Ponytail hat pattern

mdkb904

Question

I am making my own pattern but I need help. Color A is teal Color B is black  Color C yellow 

Row 1with Color A Sc around hair elastic 22 join with sl st top of the first Sc.

Row 2 color A chain2 *dc in the next st then 2 dc in the next st rep* then the last st change to color B. (33)

Row 3 color B chain 2 * dc in the next 2 st then 2 dc in the next st rep* then the last st change to Color C .(44) 

Row 4 color C chain 2 * dc in the next 3 st then 2 dc in the next st rep* then the last st change to Color A.(55) 

so I don’t know what to do after Row 4 to keep the pattern going if any one can help it will be very helpful from Melissa 

image.jpg

4 answers to this question

The generic recipe for a flat circle made in straight DC with a closed center top is:  Start with 12 DC in a ring, increase by 12 each round.

The generic recipe for at hat is: measure your head circumference, divide that by 3.14 (pi).  Make a flat circle with a diameter of that measurement, then stop increasing and crochet around until the hat height is where you want it.  You can tweak the circumference a little if you want it to stretch a little to fit, or be a little loose (depends on the stitch pattern, yarn thickness and your stitch tension--I don't find that crochet stretches much).

Your scheme is only increasing by 10, and you are getting a cone, not a flat circle.  Does the elastic stretch a lot with 22 stitches around it?  Enough to reach thru it and pull a pony tail thru, I'd think to at least 1.5 to 2 x it's relaxed size?  If so...I'd rip back leaving just the teal SC row, and re-start the teal DC work the increases so you end with 36; the next round add 12 for 48, and so on, adding 12 each time.   If the elastic doesn't stretch enough, you may need to start over and put 24, possibly 30 (30=12x2.5), and add 12 each round to that number.

When I make an adult hat, I start with 10 dc. Second round is 2dc around.  Then I continue increasing “2dc in next, dc in next”, “2dc in next, dc in next 2” then dc in next 3, next 4 etc until it fits the top of my head lol. I just sit it on and go from there. Then just straight dc around the remaining rows.  

Yours looks good so far. Maybe just try what you have on yourself and see how it’s working. 

Archived