graphghan help

reefefered

Question

I have a pattern for sc graph and I was wanting to know how to use dc on this graph to make the finished blanket larger.  I read long time ago because dc is taller, then you use 2 dc in each square?  would appreciate feedback on dc and hdc and how to use them in a graphghan

9 answers to this question

I'd think 3 DC (like filet), or maybe 2 SC over 2 SC (so, 1 pixel in 4 stitches,  over 2 rows).  I think it would depend on your stitch height tension, but then it would be harder to see the design, I'd think, rather than seeing just big  pixels.  Maybe SC in jumbo yarn?  Perhaps make it as is, and add rounds of edging in coordinating colors to make the blanket to size?

102 spaces across, 142 high.

So, grabbing a random worsted weight skein: RHSS gauge using I hook: 15 rows and 12 stitches is 4". 

Therefore, if you hit that gauge: 1 stitch is .33" wide, times 102, is 34" wide.  And is .266" high, times 142 is 38" high

How big a blanket were you thinking of?  I think that would be plenty big for a sofa sized throw (adding a border of about 7" on each side is 48", adding 11" top and bottom is 60", 48"x60"= typical sofa throw size), and plenty big if it were centered below the pillow area on a twin coverlet sized blanket.  Twin mattress top is 38" across, 75" long. Since it has the floral border around, I'd probably make the border plain color-wise.

So, the proportions in SC are a little short and fat compared to the original.  If you did it in HDC, it might look better, also you'd have to add less border top and bottom.  I see some swatching in your future...

I think this would be perfect for twin size, you don't want the words spilling over the sides and it should fit nicely across.  I think the hard part would be figuring out getting it the right distance down from the top; if the pillow is going to be under the blanket (so you have to figure tuck-under allowance), or not.

I like the flower motif idea.

Archived