Flamingo Hat Leg Tassel Help

Shawlmaker

Question

Hi! I can't give up on this--I've invested too much time! Others have tried and failed this pattern and I want to see if anyone can do these legs. (Attached are two different styles I've found online.) I would be grateful to get a good pattern for either version!

Here is the one pattern I've found with a clarification at the end. I get stuck at #4. I end up on the back of the chain and can't DC from there. Here is what the pattern author wrote:

1. Chain 35
  2. In 4th chain from the hook place 3DC. Chain 6 (I added a TURN here) and slip stitch in the same stitch. Slip stitch over to the next stitch.
  3. Chain 6 and slip stitch in the same stitch. Repeat for a third time.
  4. Slip stitch to reach your chains. DC up toward the ear piece. Slip stitch onto the base of the hat.
  5. SC back down until you reach the toe part. HDC in each stitch until you reach the opposite side of the foot.
  6. Slip stitch onto the DC and fasten off. Use the tail to sew together any holes.

***Sorry for the confusion! Each DC is a toe and you chain 6 and the slip stitch in the DC. You do that 3 times in each of the 3 DC. Then you will come back and HDC in each chain.***

flamingo.jpg

il_1140xN.1002867732_odop.jpg

2 answers to this question

If I'm following this correctly...yes you can make any stitch into the underside of a chain.  It's the way you make a closed oval, for example; the chain becomes the center of the oval.

When you first work into a chain, you can use either (1) the back bump, (2) with the chain facing, the top loop, or (3) with the chain facing you, top loop + back bump, which leaves the bottom loop free.  Either of those methods leave at least 1 free loop, which you can use to work into the underside of the chain.

Archived