Bmaze3696

What is the name of the pattern?

Hello! I am brand new to crocheting, and was taught to do the basic v stitch from my husband's grandmother. By mistake, I messed up the pattern when I left her house. I am about a quarter of the way done with this Afghan I am making, and realized I have royally screwed it up. But, it is still very pretty, and I am wondering if this pattern actually has a name? Instead of dc, ch 1, 2 dc, repeat, I am doing dc, dc, ch 1, repeat. I have attached photos to help identify. Thanks for any help!

1541696222497925909045.jpg

154169630170135077393.jpg

Crochet is weird, some stitches have multiple names, and sometimes 1 name is used for several different stitches.

I'd call this a Granny Stitch variation, but that's totally not official.

The pattern is 2 DC, chain 1, repeat.  Next row:  2 DC over the chain, chain 1.

The ends will either be 2 DCs, or 1 - you can't begin or end with a chain.

Edit, made a typo myself, see bold.  

Edited by Granny Square

Thank you for the info! It weird because it is a v stitch with the chain on either side of the doubles instead of in the middle. It's confusing how it takes a different name when you move 1 thing! 😂 Thanks for the help!

Edited by Bmaze3696
Spell correction

As you replied I was making a little diagram.  Lines are DC (US), dots are chains.

Modified Granny Stitch.jpg

Edited by Granny Square

That is exactly it. Thank you! So you'd call this a modified granny stitch or a granny stitch variation? This pattern is super easy to work, so whatever it is, I like it!

A 'real' (or, typical) granny stitch pattern in rows would be 3 DCs in a space.  This version may have a name,  I've just not come across it/them (and I just looked in my stitch bible, but didn't spot it there either).  Granny Squares are pretty common/familiar, so I think if you described as a 2 DC Granny Stitch variation, most would understand what you meant.

Edited by Granny Square