Single crochet thermal stitch

Shanholtzer

Question

Does anyone know how to do this stitch? Hard for. E to figure out. Have watched videoes but none are specific enuf for me. As would like to make a potholder. ThankYou, if anyone could help me understand, or have pictures how to do steps Understand chaining, then single crochet but can't master the single crochet thermal stitch. ThankYou.

2 answers to this question

This tutorial seemed pretty clear, but I know (for me anyway) it sometimes takes more than 1 before a new thing 'clicks' 

https://www.nickishomemadecrafts.com/thermal-stitch-crochet-tutorial/

You know how to work thru the back loop of a stitch, right?  And when you do this, the unused front loop makes a ridge?  If you understand this, you are most of the way there.  The first row, seriously, is the hardest (not difficult, just unusual).

The first row is plain SC--and this is important--made into the back bump of the chain.  The next row is a SC made into the back loop of the sc in the  row  below and the closest free loop of the chain.  The next (and subsequent) row is a sc made into the back loop of the stitch below and  the unused front loop loop (which is now in back) that didn't get used in the row below.  

So the thermal stitch is a SC made into 2 loops, 1 loop that you'd use with regular SC and the other a free loop from the row below.

If you don't want to work the initial row into the back bump of the chain, you could work into the top loop of the chain (as the chain faces you), and then,  next row work into the back loop and one of the remaining free chains instead--just make sure you're consistent.  

It is nice and cushy and thick, but it only grows about half a normal SC's height each row because of the way it's worked.  You're going to need more yarn to cover the same ground as you would with SC.

Archived