Can someone help please?

Darryl1970

Question

This is the pattern I’m doing. I thought I had it all worked out until I got to row 25. 

I’m not entirely sure I got row 11 right, but it looks ok. 

But if someone could translate rows 4, 11,16 and 25 to English for me, I think I’ll have a chance to grasp what I’m not understanding. 

Thank you in advance 😃

13264C7A-07DB-4F82-96DD-FCCE64050F4C.jpeg

2 answers to this question

Just checking, you know the numbers in parentheses after each row is a 'sanity check' account of the number of stitches you should have after the row, right?

Being nitpicky, this pattern doesn't conform to US pattern writing conventions...just as I typed that, I realized this is probably a UK pattern since it sounds like you are making a toy, which would be US SC....  Well, FWIW here's the US standard - this pattern doesn't use parentheses, or express repeats, in a (US) conventional way.   https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/standards/how-to-read-crochet-pattern.  Plus, you are working in a circle...these steps should be labeled rounds not rows.  Since it's not telling you to join and 'chain up' to the next round, it's working in a spiral, so it's really important to mark the first stitch in the round.

Inc=put 2 stitches into 1

Row 4 is almost the same as row 3 - you ended row 3 with 21, right?  Row 4 translation: dc into each of the next 2 stitches, make 2 stitches into the following stitch.  Do this a total of 7 times (not repeat 7 times more [for a total of 8 sets of this instruction]--another aspect of the pattern that is unconventional).  You should end up with 28 stitches.  (so, over each span of 3 stitches, you end up with 4, so for a total of 7 iterations of this instruction 4x7=28) 

Row 11 is a little different, in that the whole row isn't sets of repeats.  DC into each of the next 20 stitches.  DC into next stitch, decrease over the next 2 stitches (decrease=DC 2 together, turning 2 stitches into 1)--do the previous twice more and put a marker into the 1 stitch resulting from the last decrease).   DC into next stitch, decrease over the next 2 stitches twice more.

Row 16 = dc into each of the next 3 stitches, dc2tog over the next 2 stitches, a total of 7 times

Row 25 = OK,  Row 24 ended with 18 stitches, so that's what we have to work with.  Row 25 ends with 12, so we will be decreasing 6 stitches (just showing you my thought process to make sure we're reading this correctly).  DC into each of the next 2 stitches; over the next 6 stitches, dc2tog 3 times (so, we've turned 8 stitches into 5).  The next set is slightly different - DC into each of the next 3 stitches; over the next 6 stitches, dc2tog 3 times (so, we've turned 9 stitches into 6).  Running total, we've turned 8+9=17 stitches into 5+6=11 stitches.  That leaves 1 stitch, into which we end the round by putting 1 dc into it (this gives is 12 total stitches).  This row is a bit tricky, don't feel bad I misread it the first time and was 1 stitch short.

Thank you so much!!

Yes, I’m in the uk, so yes it’s a uk pattern. Sorry I didn’t mention it.

I did happen to know what the number in parentheses meant, but was struggling to see how to achieve those numbers. Row 3 made me understand I had to do a single dc into the first two single stitches, then do 2dc into the next stitch to achieve 21. I sort of saw it as doing dc’s in a 1-1-2 pattern. 

I just lost the plot when I got to the harder rows, so admitted defeat and came here to ask. 

Your reply is perfect, and that part now makes total sense to me. 

Although I can’t say I won’t be back to ask again! 😃

Thank you very much indeed. 

Archived