New to crochet and to the forum

Darryl1970

Hello All,

I’m Darryl, and picked up a crochet hook for the first time last week.

The children’s grandad kindly (said with all the sarcasm you can muster) bought ‘crochet a dragon’, and ‘crochet a unicorn’ kits for the children. As they are 9 and 5 and both still unable to tie a shoelace, I have become the nominated kit builder. 

So after a week of practice, I’ve made a mushroom! I even changed colour yarn, stuffed and finished it!! Unfortunately, it was supposed to be the dragons head!!

Ive now started on the unicorn, and the body is looking like it should, but I really  need some help, so came here and hopefully you lovely people can prevent me making a bonnet or something, rather than a unicorn 😃

Hi  and Welcome  to Crochetville from the Gulf Coast of Florida.

Grab your yarn and hooks, put your feet up and sit a spell.

We will gladly Help.  You will be surprised how many on here will try to explain things.  I have learned a lot here and am still learning.

Hi Darryl! Nice to "meet" you.

Heheh, what a fun introduction to crochet! I wish you all the best with the kits.

Is it at all possible to get the kids involved with helping you? I learned to crochet at maybe around 6, because my Great Aunt put a crochet hook and yarn in my hands and taught me. My mom was forever grateful to her for that -- it kept me busy for HOURS upon hours!

Just a thought!

Either way, I'm glad you decided to give crochet a try! I can almost guarantee your first project is turning out better than my first project did when I was a kid! :) LOL!

Archived