Help Understanding Amigurumi pattern

Wutdafox

Question

Hello, I am still slightly new to Amigurumi, and most of the patterns I have been dealing with use a magic circle, until deciding to make this Snorlax. The very first line of the pattern confuses me. 

Ch 30, SC 28 from 2nd ch from hook, 3 SC in next Ch [at this part I just continued around and crocheted the other side of the chain, is that correct?] SC 27, 2 SC in last ch, SL ST [which I didn’t slip stitch, either, because I wasn’t sure where to slip stitch to].

So you can look at the whole thing: and 

http://www.miahandcrafter.com/atelier/snorlax-pattern/

Also, would it be possible to just begin this by SC 60 in a magic circle and then continueing onward from there? Thanks for your help 🙂 

Attached is a photo of what I have after the first row, before slip stitching 

AE4C8AC0-2D19-4805-B4C2-C53710F292E1.jpeg

2 answers to this question

On your last question, no.  You can't start with a magic circle because you don't want a circle, you want a long oval - this appears to be his 'bottom', where the feet attach to later.

The slip stitch would have been in the very first sc, the slst is to join the round.

It might help to look for tutorial videos that tell you how to work in an oval.  What you have looks absolutely correct - you are going to be making a sort of flat pouch, it has already started to look a little pouch-like.  

Think of this a straight line with a half circle on each end.  I think it will help a lot to to orient yourself to put a stitch marker in at the beginning and end of the straight part before the end half-circles.   

Archived