Need help understanding a pattern

Latinboop

Question

I have been working on the Dreamer Shawl by Britney Rooney and I am so stuck on this row

23. (Beige) Ch3, 3dc same, ch2, sk 2 st, 1sc around rows 19 and 20, [sc in 4th (middle) st of shell from row22. Ch5, (2sc in chain of row 21 (between puffs), 2sc in next chain sp between the same 2 puffs, ch 5] 9x This made hearts. (Top part of heart is made of this row, bottom part of heart is row 21) sc in 4th st of shell, ch5, 2sc in ch of row 19. There are now 10 hearts. sk2 to sc in the 3rd st of row 22. ch2, sk, sc, ch 2, sk 2, (2dc, ch1, 2dc). (ch2, sk2, sc)2x, sk2, (2sc into chain sp of row 19, ch5, sc in middle st of shell from row 22, ch5, 2sc in ch sp of row 19)= 1 heart. Make 10 hearts, but in the last 1, eliminate the 2sc. 1sc around rows 19 and 20. ch2, sk2, 4dc in last st.  (154st)

I have read it through at least 5 times and I still don't understand what to do. 

I would be very appreciative if someone can simplify the instructions. I am totally cofused and am stuck and can't go forward.  TIA

First, where do I make the SC for rows 19 and 20? Around the turning chains?

I would hate to have to frog it and make something else. 

1 answer to this question

The most diplomatic thing I can say is this pattern would have benefited by having been test knitted by someone other than the designer.  Just glancing at a few rows before your problem ones, there's a lot of ambiguous spots, including where to put stitches, that by just adding a couple of words would have fixed.  

What has saved me a lot in the past when confused by an instruction. especially when making lace like this, is to look closely at the photo.  The only advice I have is, since you can orient yourself between your work and the photo (better than I can by visualizing the pattern instruction output in my head), is to find where you are with relation to the photo and see if the appearance of your current row helps you figure out what was meant.  Even the designer says to look at the photo to make sense of round 20.   At least frequent color changes help tell the rows apart.

Designing is hard in the first place, and so is conveying the design to a pattern so it makes sense to others.   Sorry I'm not being very helpful, I don't want to lead you astray. 

Archived