help understanding pattern

shirleyjr

Question

Hi here is the pattern  for the tuxedo mens sweater - http://crochetenaccion.blogspot.com/2011/11/sweater-y-pullover.html

I'm stuck on the Yoke row 3 - I really don't understand what it is I'm supposed to do. Can anyone help clarify these instructions. Thanks

2 answers to this question

So, page 2 right column (took me a minute to find it).  I'm guessing it's the FPDC (front post DC) that's confusing? A post stitch is not worked into one or both of the top of a stitch as usual, it is worked around the body of a specified stitch in either in the prior row, or in a row before the prior row.  In your case, you are to make a front post DC around the specified SC not in the prior row, but the row below that.  Yarn over, put the hook thru the fabric to the right side of that sc, across the back of that sc and up thru the front of the fabric to the left of the sc, and  complete the DC.  The sc's body, and the dc, will be forced to protrude to the front of the fabric.

If you've never worked a post stitch, and my description isn't clear, there are lots of videos out there than can help you see what you need to do.  It's much more common to make a front post dc around the dc right below it, but it's not unheard of to make a taller stitch more rows down.  When you make a post stitch, you are 'using up' the COUNT of the top of the stitch that you would have used if you weren't' making a post stitch, so you need to skip that stitch top as you move forward to avoid making an unwanted increase.

Archived