chickie

identify stitch

I was wondering if anyone can tell me what this stitch is. I made several headbands last winter and can't remember what stitch I used.  I even took one apart and still can't figure it out.  I looked at every stitch in the Crochet Bible as well as all in my own folder of patterns.  I don't do complicated stuff, so it has to be something pretty basic and easy.  I'd love for someone to recognize it!  Thanks in advance.

20181014_212224[1].jpg

20181015_171352[1].jpg

20181015_171250[1].jpg

Is it a sort-of-shell that is SC+DC in 1 stitch, skip 1, repeat?  Or the stitches might be the other way around.  I don't know if it has a name...

Thanks for looking.  It looks like more of a small puff than a shell, and it does seem to have two different stitches in one, with a ch 1 at the top? It looks so simple, but even pulling it apart, I can't recreate it!  SO frustrating!

I was mis-remembering the stitch pattern of a sweater I made ages ago, and was poking at the sweater yesterday trying to see what the stitch pattern was.  I thought I was seeing DC and SC in the same stitch in your sample, which I knew was in that sweater.  I just dug into the nether regions of my pattern files to get the name - here's a link Tee Top Sweater.  It was sc, chain 1, dc, skip 2, repeat.  Here's a scan of the sweater, not quite the same as your headbands.  

It also reminded me of the Bubbles Baby blanket (which I've also made and gave away, no sample to scan) but still not quite; that one is sc, 2dc in same stitch, skip 2 (but no chains)

I don't think yours is a puff or cluster, the stitches don't appear to be gathered up at the top that I can see.  Now I'm just noticing what looks like a row of sc in the bottom pic in the row below...interesting.  Maybe that was in the design so the main pattern stitch was always facing the 'right' side?

scan0015.jpg

I love that you are taking all this time trying to help me! Thanks SO much!  The reason I'm thinking a puff stitch is that there's sort of a long strand that goes over the others in one stitch.  And, yes, there is what looks to me a row of sc in between each row.  I have figured out (by pulling it apart) that that row happens from slip stitching at the top of these other two stitches.  So it's like puff, then some long stitch, but not as puffy, then close then with a slip stitch, all in the same stitch, then skip a stitch and repeat.....? 

What is driving me nuts is that I keep pulling out "just one more stitch" to figure it out and I've already ripped out a whole row (there are only 3 rows in a small headband) and I still can't figure it out!

Here are 3 pictures of the stitches as they progress from one stitch, to the second, to closing them up.

20181016_182944[1].jpg

20181016_183126[1].jpg

20181016_183148[1].jpg