Kayla Jackson

Crochet Shawl with pockets pattern

Question

My dad is having back surgery because of a tumor on his spine/back and I want to make him a prayer shawl with pockets so he can hold all the small things that he would need and not have to get up to get them. I’d like the pattern to be free or inexpensive, not a scarf, and either be manly or be able to adapt for a man. (I did see one topic about this here, but it was from 2016 and all the links people gave are broken.)

5 answers to this question

I can think of a couple of ways to make pockets. One it to make the cowl extra long, fold up the ends and sew them up on the wrong side and flip them open to the right side.  The other way is to make your cowl. Make 2 squares or oblongs using the same pattern  for each side and sew those on.

About the only thing I can think of is a Ruana. It's similar to a Serape but open in the front.  You could make it any length you desire and pockets can be made with the same stitch as this pattern and added to the front panels. In a masculine color I would think your dad would be comfortable in this.

My Crochet Club makes those regularly for our Hospice and for our local retirement homes.  We just make the shawl 20" wide X 60" long, and make squares for the pockets and sew or crochet them on the front at the bottom.  They really like them!